Slideshow file compression or take another path?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Habu, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. Habu

    Habu Guest

    It's taken me months to come to this point. Instead of jumping in with
    questions, I did some research only to find that I had opened up
    Pandora's box...again.

    My situation: I am scanning a historical collection of documents into
    jpeg files and creating a slideshow. The enormity of it all will
    require many boxes of CD's.

    The slideshows work very well and the documents are readable but before
    I go too far...should I be looking at a different method.

    The text is the only one of it's kind and I want to share it with
    fellow enthusiasts and historians.

    I WELCOME all thoughts, questions and answers. I am a historian and not
    very technically prone but I will do whatever is necessary to get this
    done right.

    Sincerely,
    Steven
    Okinawa, Japan

    Habu, Sep 29, 2005

  2. I would resize the pictures to whatever size is required for the
    presentation (TV or PC). Use free PowerToys from MS. Select all pictures,
    right click and select predefined or your unique size. It goes by itself. Do
    it into Temp directory, burn them and then delete them. Of course, keep the
    originals! The files will be very small (~50k/picture), so you could fit all
    your work onto one DVD.

    Jan

    Jan Nademlejnsky, Sep 29, 2005

  3. Habu

    Bryan Olson Guest

    First question: What do you mean by "the text"? In some cases,
    historians are interested in the look of the original. In most
    cases, what is important is to make text readable.

    JPEG is for continuous-tone images. It does not handle text well.

    By the time you require "many boxes of CD's", you either need an
    automated CD production system, or a different method of distribution.
    Hard-disk is usually the best storage medium for dozens of gigabytes
    and up. The Web is usually the right way to distribute.

    Google has a project to scan/photograph every page of every book that
    they're allowed to, and make the content publicly available. Perhaps
    they would be interested in your collection.

    Bryan Olson, Sep 29, 2005
  4. Habu

    alex Guest

    Also if you're talking about just text maybe you could scan in 16 colours or
    similar. I seem to remember this really does reduce the file size but you
    may have to save as something other than JPEG.

    Burning to DVD instead would use 6 times less CDs at single layer or 12
    times less CDs at double layer.

    Alex

    alex, Sep 29, 2005
  5. Habu

    Habu Guest

    Alex, thanks for the "clue" because I didn't have one.... I bought a
    container of 30 JVC DVD-R 120 min. I will give it a try.

    It is not simple text and that's what makes it so demanding on my
    learning curve. I have one original United States military Top Secret
    Operations Plan for the invasion of Okinawa. It is 50 years old and in
    good shape. The pages have an excellent "patina" of tobacco brown
    around the edges. The whole manual is full of redline changes, circles,
    arrows, notes and code.

    I have a sample that works well with MSFT Media Player if anyone would
    like to preview it.

    With droopy bloodshot eyes,
    Steven
    Kadena Air Force Base
    Okinawa, Japan

    Habu, Sep 29, 2005
  6. Habu

    Martin Brown Guest

    Given where he is posting from and an historical document it is likely
    that the documents are handwritten kanji and hirogana. The brush stroke
    detail may well require grey scale imaging to maintain legibility.
    It doesn't handle it as badly as is generally believed. You can save
    line artwork in JPEG format using the right settings and achieve good
    results both in compression and quality. PNG usually beats it though.
    DVD might be a better choice given the volume of data.

    There are dedicated algorithms for monochrome text images that acheive
    very much higher compression than JPEG ever will. Places to look for
    examples are on 1837.com (DjVu) and I think Ancestry.com uses JPEG
    monochrome (nominal 25% setting). It is worth looking very carefully at
    a range of options for compressing archive material to get the best size
    quality trade off.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Sep 29, 2005
  7. Habu

    Marvin Guest

    I've done this with one set oif documents for a scientific society, and I'm working on
    another set for a military veterans organization. I scan the documents and make pdf files
    wth searchable text. One can view the documents or print them out in the original
    format of the documents, in color if need be. A 20 page document converts to a 2.5 to 3 Mb
    file.

    If you want to take this approach, send me an e-mail and I'll e-mail more detail of the
    procedure.

    B.t.w., I was in the the 96th Infantry Division on Okinawa in 1945. Would the documents
    you are working on be of interest to me?

    Marvin, Sep 29, 2005
  8. Habu

    Habu Guest

    I must say that the answer is YES, they should be very interesting to
    you!
    The "documents" are actually pages from the:

    TOP SECRET
    Commander Task Force Fifty-One
    Commander Amphibious Forces
    U.S. Pacific Fleet,
    Operations Plan NO. A1-45

    And

    CONFIDENTIAL
    United States Pacific Fleet and Pacific Ocean Areas
    OKINAWA GUNTO
    Second supplement to Okinawa Gunto Information
    Bulletin Number 161-44

    Both are complete with handwritten notations and last minute changes.

    Scanning the "documents" into a pdf format is possible but I am
    interesed in the actually showing the original pages with
    "redline" changes.
    When I read the pages I get this tremendous inner emotion of what the
    thought processes were being discussed
    and who was there.

    There are plenty of large maps also.

    In my estimation thiese items are priceless but too damn important to
    not share.

    Habu, Sep 30, 2005