    Can anyone on this NG suggest a way of doing the task without spending a
    fortune on it.

    Peter

    Peter James, Jan 31, 2014

  2. Peter James

    J. Clarke Guest

    For 300? A set of extension tubes if you don't have a macro lens.
    You'll also need to cobble up some kind of holder and a backlight but
    that can be done with some foamcore board and a glue gun.

    J. Clarke, Jan 31, 2014

  3. Peter James

    philo  Guest

    I have an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo
    and was shocked at how good a quality the slide/negative scanner is.
    It is honestly better the dedicated slide scanner I had been using.

    The Epson can scan four slides at a time and autocrop.

    It has a professional mode with extreme quality.

    Not only that, the scanner was relatively inexpensive.

    Though the model I have is no longer made, I am sure that whatever Epson
    now makes that replaced it...will be good

    The V370 looks like an equivalent unit it's 100 USD (or 60£ I think)

    philo , Jan 31, 2014
  4. Peter James

    Dave S Guest

    I converted all my slides (1000+) by laying the slide on a diffuse
    backlight, and having my camera shoot 3 exposures of each slide.

    Much, much faster than using the Epson scanner I had at the time, and
    better quality.

    Dave S.

    Dave S, Jan 31, 2014
  5. Peter James

    Guest Guest

    ugh, that is not worth the hassle and the results aren't that good
    anyway.

    been there done that.

    Guest, Jan 31, 2014
  6. Peter James

    Guest Guest

    use vuescan.

    <http://www.hamrick.com/>

    Guest, Jan 31, 2014
  7. Peter James

    Martin Brown Guest

    Do them a few at a time when you can afford it then. The hardware and
    media cost to do decent archive quality slide scans is more than £150
    and then you have your time to consider.
    As others have said you can get contraptions that allow slide copying
    for not that much (~ £40 maybe less secondhand) and one of those will
    allow you to digitise your slides pretty quickly if you have a DSLR.

    I used this method once when a badly damaged unscannable slide (someone
    had stubbed a cigarette out on it) that had to be digitised instantly.

    Martin Brown, Jan 31, 2014
  8. You might want to investigate what overseas scanning agencies
    (particularly in India) charge. My son recently had the whole family
    negative collection scanned and put on a CD. I think it cost about $700
    overall and I was glad to pay it.

    Fortunately, we had most of the negatives tho' some are currently only
    DSLR camera copies of the prints in the picture albums but it would have
    been sad to lose the gradually fading prints and, in any case, there are
    three different places where we might wish to have copies.

    You can make quite a good restoration of prints if there is even a
    little left of the three primary colors. I did quite a good job of
    restoring my wife's graduation picture from 1956 with Photoshop Elements.

    James Silverton, Feb 1, 2014
  9. Peter James

    Martin Brown Guest

    But would you want to ever part with your precious negatives sending
    them to a distant land and uncertain standards of handling?
    50p isn't an outrageous price for image scanning in the UK.

    Martin Brown, Feb 2, 2014
  10. My son investigated the reputation of the Indian company and received
    several reassuring recommendations. The results were highly
    satisfactory. If the negatives had been lost it would have been possible
    to do a reasonable job of copying the prints with a DSLR tho' perfection
    is not absolutely necessary for family records.

    James Silverton, Feb 2, 2014
  11. Peter James

    Sandman Guest

    What is the Canon scanner? Maybe you can get a slides holder for it?

    I have the Epson Perfection V750, and it came with a slides holder that
    scans 15 slides at a time in very high quality.

    Sandman, Feb 2, 2014
  12. Peter James

    Sandman Guest

    Sandman, Feb 2, 2014
  13. Peter James

    philo  Guest

    Nope, it was a professional model but my Epson had better resolution.
    (4800 x 9600 dpi) What I really like about the Epson is the four at a
    time capability with auto crop and individual file for each slide.

    I honestly was surprised, I had used flat bed scanners before and they
    were all total crap.

    philo , Feb 2, 2014
  14. Peter James

    Martin Brown Guest

    Slides are somewhat different unless you have them copied first.

    Martin Brown, Feb 3, 2014
  15. Peter James

    Peter James Guest

    You might find the following of interest. Posted to:
    uk.comp.sys.mac
    comp.sys.mac.system

    I am running an iMac with a 3.33GHz Core 2 duo processor, 8 gig memory
    and a CanonLide 200 scanner. All software is up to date from Apple and
    Canon.

    I'm having terrible problems with the scanner not working or working
    intermittently.

    Very often in attempting to scan using preview or Image Capture I'm told
    that there is no scanner connected, even when the scanner is shown in
    System Preferences.
    I did manage to get the scanner working via Photoshop Elements for a
    while, but that has stopped now. Elements tells me there is no scanner
    present.

    After a previous appeal for help on this NG I downloaded VueScan only to
    be told by VueScan there was no scanner connected, even though Prefs
    showed that there was.

    I have in the past few months done the following:

    1 Updated all software both Canon and Apple.

    2 Removed all traces of Canon software from the system and rebooted and
    updated Canon drivers yet again.

    3 Changed the UBS lead twice

    4 Appealed for help from Canon and changed all software yet again.

    5 Downloaded VueScan.

    The result of all of the above was either the scanner wouldn't work or
    works intermittently.

    I do have Windows 7 installed on a boot partition run by BootCamp. The
    scanner works perfectly under W7 even to the point of working Canon's
    proprietary interface which never did work on the Mac.

    Unfortunately I need the scanner to work under OS as I only have the Mac
    version of Elements installed and the Mac version of Family History.

    I am inclined to ditch the Canon and buy an Epson 370 scanner, but I am
    worried that the same thing might happen with the Epson as has happened
    with the Canon, i.e intermittent operation.

    Can anyone throw any further light or advise me on this.
    Thanks,

    Peter

    Peter James, Feb 3, 2014
  16. Peter James

    PeterN Guest

    Peter, I have been watching this thread hoping someone would give you a
    practical solution. As I understand it, you have about 300 slides to be
    digitized, mostly family pictures.
    I had a lot more than that to convert. After trying various scanners, I
    went to a local drugstore, asked them to digitize my slides at their
    highest resolution. They did a reasonable job at the conversion, and
    they were all converted into tiff format. While I don't recall the
    price, it was significantly less than the cost of a "conversion
    service," and less than the cost of a scanner. The only drawback was
    that they would only put 36 images on a CD. Considering that I did not
    have to spend the time, or money, it was a good deal for me.
    Of course, if you feel you need the scanner anyway, then I can't help,
    as I know very little about current scanners and software.

    PeterN, Feb 3, 2014
  17. Peter James

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I took on this project a few years ago, and had more than 300 slides
    to work with. I purchased a used dedicated slide scanner for the job.
    I meant to sell it later, but never got around to it.

    The first step is to go through the slides and determine which were
    really worth scanning. Many were repeats of the same shot with only
    slight differences. While we shot fewer frames in those days, we
    still duplicated some shots.

    This process was the best part. I assembled my family and we all
    watched the slides (I still have a Kodak projector) and jointly
    decided on which were the keepers. It was quite an enjoyable
    experience.

    I ended up with about a third of the total to scan. That was the
    boring and tedious part. Over the next few months I worked on the
    results in Photoshop to improve them.

    Tony Cooper, Feb 3, 2014
  18. Peter James

    philo  Guest

    That's probably why mine was discontinues, they came out with a better
    one, believe me I am 100% sold on Epson.

    philo , Feb 3, 2014
  19. Peter James

    philo  Guest

    I got mine free when someone wanted to clean up their desk and get an
    all-in-one. I am sure the scanner I have is way better than the one they
    are using...but the person had no need for the "slide" capabilities.

    One of these days I will have to finish scanner all of my father's best
    images. I kept saying I was going to wait until I'm retired...but have
    now been retired for over a year and have only scanned a dozen or so.

    philo , Feb 3, 2014