    scans? What is "16 bit linear"?

    Many thanks for any info.

    Paul J Ruiz

    Paul J Ruiz, Sep 10, 2003

  2. look at shareware program viewscan. This will do what you want to control scanner.
    16 bits is good for making extensive color adjustments without posterizing the
    image. You convert to 8 bit before printing. You'll need to get a better editing
    program.
    I have some tips on my web site about optimizing images in both the scanning and
    printing stages.
    Look under the tips section on my home page.

    Robert Feinman, Sep 10, 2003

  3. Paul J Ruiz

    Jon Bell Guest

    Photoshop Elements's predecessor, Photoshop 5.0 LE, can handle them.
    Maybe you can dig up a copy somewhere. Of course the full Photoshop will
    also work.

    Jon Bell, Sep 10, 2003
  4. Picture Window Pro (www.dl-c.com) will do everything in 16 bit. It
    also has the best brightness curve tools, and the best color
    correction tools, of any program I've used.

    And of course full Photoshop will do a few things in 16 bit, too.

    Don't know precisely what they mean by 16-bit linear; probably no
    gamma?

    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 10, 2003
  5. Paul J Ruiz

    Ed E. Guest