    him Guest

    i want to copy 35m. slides to my p/c.
    can this be done

    him, Nov 11, 2006

  2. him

    Bob Salomon Guest

    Bob Salomon, Nov 11, 2006

  3. him

    Cgiorgio Guest

    The best option are dedicated film and slide scanners (flatbed scanners with
    backlight usually give poor results). Resolution should be greater than 2400
    dpi, older models usually had SCSI interface, check that it comes with the
    interface card and driver software if you get a used one. You can also
    digitize color and B/N negative film with these. Enough used machines should
    be available, as photographers fully converted to digital run out of film
    worth scanning after a while.

    Cgiorgio, Nov 11, 2006
  4. him

    Pete D Guest

    Depending what you want to do with the shots you may find one of the
    modestly priced flatbed scanners suitable. I have a Canon 8400F anf it's
    scans at 2400/3200dpi are pretty good for home use and probably good enough
    to print up to A4 size without much effort.

    Here is a couple of slides that I took 25 years ago and scanned on my Canon
    8400F, with a bit of adjusting they can be much better.

    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=167554885&size=o

    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=162924260&size=o

    Pete D, Nov 11, 2006
  5. Yes. Nikon, Minolta and others make excellent 35 mm dedicated film
    scanners for roughly $300 - $1,100 which would do a much better job than
    a flatbed:

    Dimage Scan Dual IV (which is what I use)

    Nikon Coolscan V ED

    Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED

    Also, some flat bed scanners have holders which take slides but don't do
    nearly as good a job but are much cheaper:

    Epson 3200 Perfection Photo Flatbed Scanner

    There are also services that will do it for you:

    http://www.google.com/search?q="Slide+Scanning+Service"&ie=utf-8&oe=u
    tf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

    Stephen Henning, Nov 12, 2006
  6. him

    Al Monte Guest

    yes

    Al Monte, Nov 12, 2006
  7. him

    Pete D Guest

    About what we would expect from Rich, great answer mate! You will also
    attain legendary status very soon with answers like that!

    Pete D, Nov 12, 2006
  8. Buy a slide and film scanner. Nikon, Minolta are the popular makes.

    They are so popular on Ebay that prices are rising exponentially. Many
    guys/gals who have got the message are using their old film cameras and
    lenses, and digitising the negatives to produce superb prints on their
    inkjets. Why buy a DSLR?

    Dennis Pogson, Nov 12, 2006
  9. him

    Pete D Guest

    Bit of a silly question really, cos it is much easier! LOL!

    Pete D, Nov 12, 2006
  10. him

    AAvK Guest

    Actually, Minolta quit the camera and scanner business recently, altogether.
    Alex

    AAvK, Nov 12, 2006
  11. him

    Neil Pugh Guest

    Neil Pugh, Nov 12, 2006
  12. Actually, you can still buy them. I bought one and they are still
    available. They even still have discounts. They are also available
    used.

    Stephen Henning, Nov 12, 2006
  13. Kind of a silly answer. A DSLR is much more complicated than a film
    camera. They both hold lenses and can autofocus or manual focus. The
    difference is a film camera just has a meter and a shutter. The DSLR
    has many, many settings that were never imagined in film cameras such as
    changeable ASA, noise filtering, resolution control, etc. The only real
    advantage of a DSLR is that you can store hundreds of frames on a memory
    card and never need to buy any more memory cards and never need film.

    Stephen Henning, Nov 12, 2006
  14. him

    Pete D Guest

    Actually if you have a look at what I said, I said "cos it is much easier"
    not simpler as you have quoted. How can it be easier to have extra steps in
    the process? How hard is it to take the shot and then simply pop the memory
    card in your PC? How many people actually use their camera on any setting
    other than on auto?

    How do you take one or two shots on your film camera then make a print or
    scan to you PC without wasting a heap of film?

    Simpler? Not in a million years.

    Pete D, Nov 12, 2006
  15. him

    Bryan Olson Guest

    No, he nailed it. I find the digital work-flow easier than film
    even without considering the scanning step. And scanning's a drag.
    Check how many settings your scanner has.
    There's more to digital photography than the absence of film.

    Bryan Olson, Nov 12, 2006
  16. Where did I quote "simpler"? You are seeing things. Sort of a silly
    thing to do.
    That is why you buy a DSLR or SLR??? Wierd!!!! Sounds like you need a
    'snap & shoot'.
    With a Polaroid Film Camera. They made SLRs. But since you like easy,
    it is easy to shoot a roll of film or waste a roll of film. Nobody said
    that easy was economical.

    Stephen Henning, Nov 13, 2006
  17. him

    AAvK Guest

    I have tried something close, I have a loupe from which I can remove the lens,
    put the camera on it on the light box, up about 2-1/2 inches, stupid Nikon 950
    cannot focus to it in macro mode! Needs further experimentation, maybe with
    manual focusing.

    AAvK, Nov 14, 2006
  18. him

    Pete D Guest

    LOL, this is an April fools post isn't it?

    Pete D, Nov 14, 2006
  19. him

    Bob Williams Guest

    The Nikon 950 can focus down to 0.8 inches.
    Macro Capability was the forté of the Nikon Coolpix 9xx series.
    Perhaps you shoud RTFM again.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Nov 14, 2006
  20. Be sure that the zoom on the Nikon 950 is in the allowed range for macro
    focus to work - I thing the flower symbol changes colour in the allowed
    part of the zoom range - usually the middle part.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 14, 2006