sleep mode losing wireless settings

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by teabag, May 16, 2005.

  1. teabag

    teabag Guest

    XP professional operating system Pentium 4

    I have a wireless network setup with no problem unless I use my sleep mode.
    This happens periodically not everytime I use sleep mode. When I go back on
    after sleep mode my wireless connection is lost. Rebooting does not help
    neither does shutdown and windows will not repair the connection. The only
    way to get my wireless connection up and running is to use system restore.
    I call my tech support and at first he wanted me to bring my computer in to
    see what was causing the lost network connections and the inability to
    connect unless I go back to an older date. Well when he learned that I had
    been using sleep mode he told me that problems galore are associated with
    sleep mode and XP and these problems have been going on ever since the
    inception of XP. Somehow my network settings are corrupted while in sleep
    mode. At least that is what he thinks. By the way the router is fine as I
    have another computer on the network doing just fine.

    Does this sound right to you guys or do you think I have to drag my
    perfectly running (otherwise) computer into the shop because of some serious
    underlying hardware problem. Thanks for your input.

    Teabag

    teabag, May 16, 2005

  2. teabag

    Toolman Tim Guest

    You're losing sleep over your wireless settings, you say?

    (sorry...had to...long hard morning and I needed a chuckle)

    My laptop frequently sleeps or hibernates. It takes about an extra 30
    seconds after coming 'awake' for the wireless connection to reconnect. I've
    never heard of anyone having the problem you are describing.

    I would say drivers. Or an incompatibility between the wireless NIC and the
    wireless router. It *could* be bad hardware - the wireless NIC. But if it
    was hardware, the system restore (software) wouldn't fix it either. Is the
    'other computer' wireless? Does it go into sleep mode and recover
    satisfactorily? (Just narrowing down the possiblilities here...)

    What kind of computer is it - laptop or desktop? Is it a Centrino based
    laptop, or what kind of wireless NIC are you using? You left out a WHOLE lot
    of helpful information here.

    Toolman Tim, May 16, 2005

  3. teabag

    teabag Guest

    It is a desktop and brand new. The other computer on the same router is not
    wireless. No problems there. Remember 99% of the time it just starts up
    after sleep mode but this happens every couple of weeks. Now I am really
    dumb...lol what is NIC

    teabag, May 16, 2005
  4. teabag

    Toolman Tim Guest

    (top posted reply moved to bottom for linear readability)

    NIC is 'network interface card'. They can be wireless, or hard-wired. What
    brand PC? What brand NIC?

    If it were my system, here's what I'd do:

    If it's a removable NIC, I'd downloading the latest drivers from the
    manufacturer's web site, then uninstall the NIC, then physically remove it,
    restart the computer without it, shut it all down again, put the NIC back
    in, start up the computer and install it with the NEW drivers.

    Toolman Tim, May 16, 2005