    Windows XP pro
    16x DVD rom
    Optorite DVD RW

    Pompey©, Sep 14, 2003

  2. Pompey©

    Stevo Guest

    Usual?

    Well CSEL (cable select) is 'usual' if you have an IDE cable of that type
    (there is typically a master and slave connector identified on the cable,
    plus the motherboard connector).. in which case you could set the DVD and
    DVDRW to CSEL as well and use them on that cable as well, provided it isn't
    also connected to your hard drive (only 2 IDE devices can be connected to an
    IDE port). In your situation I would suspect your CD ROM will be on the same
    cable as your HDD.

    So, you could use the new pair of drives in CSEL mode with the same type
    cable, via the second IDE port that most motherboards have... or youi could
    have one paired with the HDD on the first (Primary) and the other drive (I
    would recommend the writer) on it's lonesome on the second (Secondary) IDE
    port.

    Or you could get a standard 80 way IDE cable and set one drive to master and
    the other to slave... again, using the second IDE port.. your choice
    really...

    I have found in many cases, once you start adding additional drives, the
    standard CSEL IDE cables don't always reach to where you mount the drives
    and therefore I opt to manually set the master/slave with a standard cable
    to gain a bit more flexibility.

    Stevo, Sep 14, 2003

  3. Pompey©

    Pompey© Guest

    Hi stevo...ok asuming and.... remember im a newbie here.... the pc is set up
    cables etc to run csel for the existing cd-rom..if i take it out should i
    set both the dvd rom and the dvd rw as csel? :)
    Ta Ki

    Pompey©, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Pompey©

    Patrick Guest

    Maybe this will help;

    If the cable that you have (and you probably do), has an alteration (twist
    sort of thing in the middle), then it is a Cable-Select (CS) IDE-cable and
    can only be used with drives that are jumpered for CS.
    I. E. you can put another device on your present cable if the new-device is
    also jumpered for CS.

    A standard IDE cable has no twist or alterations to it, this cable requires
    that the two drives on it be jumpered as Master or Slave. If you do not have
    said type of cable (unalterd IDE) then you will need one (probably supplied
    with new drive).

    PS as mentioned you have probably got a second IDE socket on your Mobo, so
    put a standard IDE cable in thiere and connect (Master/Slave) devices to
    this.
    Also you could if you choose, replace the old CS-cable with a standard cable
    and connect the devices (Master/Slave) to this.

    PPS perhaps have a look at below page or Google search for "Cable Select"
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html

    Patrick, Sep 14, 2003
  5. Pompey©

    Artemis Guest

    Cable select cables do *NOT* have a twist in them. You may be thinking
    of the cables used for floppy drives.

    Artemis, Sep 14, 2003
  6. Pompey©

    Patrick Guest

    Thank you 'Artemis' for your correction, you have seen my mistake, I have
    never seen a CS cable but do understand it to be as standard but with the CS
    line modified (as per link given).

    Patrick, Sep 14, 2003
  7. Pompey©

    Pompey© Guest

    Thanks .... sorted it now only problem is that when I put a disc into the
    dvd rom drive it takes about 3 minutes to auto run...even windows explorer
    doesn't recognize a disc in the drive for as long as well!! any
    ideas?..maybe have to start a new thread and ask the question.
    Thanks Kim

    Pompey©, Sep 14, 2003
  8. Pompey©

    jeroen Guest

    Yes, it stands the most chance of working if built in by an absolute
    idiot that doesn't read the manual.

    Most drives now sold seem to be set to Csel.

    jeroen, Sep 15, 2003