    compact models that can compete?

    Thanks,
    Steve

    Steve Hutton, May 2, 2004

  2. The Canon SD-110 is also ultra-compact, but thicker with less length and
    height.

    A colleague at work hat the Optio, lost it, and bought the SL400R. Two
    advantages of sth SL400R are the swivel and the very short shutter lag.
    There is no tripod mount on the SL400R, the Optio has one.

    Steven M. Scharf, May 2, 2004

  3. Steve Hutton

    Steve Hutton Guest

    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    I can live without the tripod mount, but I noticed the SL400R has no optical
    viewfinder. That is a concern for me because of iplications for battery
    life.

    Steve

    Steve Hutton, May 2, 2004
  4. Steve Hutton

    Tom Scales Guest

    Steve,

    I compared the two and the S4i won hands down. It just 'feels' right. I
    couldn't live without an optical viewfinder either.

    The SD-110 doesn't have enough pixels, so it got eliminated early.

    I went through the 'what's the best really little camera' and the S4i came
    out on top. I've owned it about a week and taken a few hundred shots and am
    very pleased with the shots. It's not the same as my D100, but the results
    are fantastic for a 'pants pocket' camera. I always have it with me.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 2, 2004
  5. Steve Hutton

    Steve Hutton Guest

    Yeah I also noticed the SL400R's movie mode, while 640x480, is limited
    to 12 seconds. The optio's is lower res but limited only by the memory
    card.
    It is a little larger as well. The main advantage I can see vs the
    s4i is price, but it looks like the optio s4 is priced similarly to the
    SD-110 after rebate. Hmm, looks like I'm going to be choosing between
    the optio s4 and the optio s4i.

    Steve

    Steve Hutton, May 2, 2004