    even fax) through Skype (Out) services? The simpler, the better, pls.

    TIA,
    JBR

    BigBen, Oct 19, 2005

  2. BigBen

    Martin² Guest

    Impossible. Skype is just a bit of P2P software, you need a computer to use
    it (as you do for IM and other similar programs). You can run a version on a
    PDA.

    What you need is Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) plugged to ethernet port on
    your router and a SIP service provider. Or you can get a router with built
    in ATA / SIP VoIP port(s) e.g. Draytek Vigor 2500V / 2600V / 2900V / Zyxel
    2602HW(L) / Zoom X5V.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 20, 2005

  3. BigBen

    NEP Guest

    You may use a new solution.
    Peercall, that is a normal phone and just a simple VoIP phone have its own
    no. Better to buy an adaptor and use your normal telephone.
    Archifone, SIP/H.323 phone, you can have services to call to any normal
    phone no. with calling rate. can use with mynetfone.
    http://www.uni-net.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=76&Itemid=41

    I had bought from them and very good quality. And there is a free software
    version as well.

    NEP, Oct 20, 2005
  4. BigBen

    NEP Guest

    You may use a new solution.
    Peercall, that is a normal phone and just a simple VoIP phone have its own
    no. Better THAN buy an adaptor and use your normal telephone.
    Archifone, SIP/H.323 phone, you can haveSIP services to call to any normal
    phone no. with calling rate. can use with any SIP Provider.
    http://www.uni-net.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=76&Itemid=41

    I had bought from them and very good quality. And there is a free software
    version as well. They apply the SIP services and setup for me as well.

    NEP, Oct 20, 2005
  5. BigBen

    BigBen Guest

    This seems like a huge market oportunity for someone coming up with a
    "phone" capable of running this P2P software, (updatable, naturally)

    Several friends of mine use Skype, none uses a SIP provider ...

    SkypeIn numbers, in several countries, although yet not in mine, is
    something I'm very interested in. Do SIP providers provide that?

    The 2 SIP providers based in my country - Portugal - which I've tried,
    have been a total disapointment to me so far - more than ounce I've
    tried making a call through one of these SIP providers, I can hear the
    called phone ringing, and apparently the call is not completed.
    Next, I dial the same number using Skype, make the call on the first
    attempt, and have a loud and clear conversation ...

    Thank you very much for the info!

    Cheers,
    JBR

    BigBen, Oct 20, 2005
  6. BigBen

    NEP Guest

    NEP, Oct 20, 2005
  7. BigBen

    Ivor Jones Guest

    To do that you'd need the source code, which Skype are not about to
    release.

    Why does it *have* to be Skype..? There are a whole load of other (and
    IMHO better) services out there.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 20, 2005
  8. BigBen

    BigBen Guest

    Well, SkypeIn in several countries seems very attractive to me. I know
    any other provider ofering that

    My experience with Skype, is that even now, that I don't have broad
    band for a few weeks, I can still make perfect calls, which I can not
    say the SIP provider I (also) use.

    Regards,
    JBR

    BigBen, Oct 20, 2005
  9. BigBen

    Martin² Guest

    BigBen:
    The beauty of VoIP is that you can use SIP provider just about anywhere in
    the world.
    You can get a US SIP provider to give you a free US number, same in UK,
    Germany etc.
    There may be some hurdles to overcame, e.g. you may need to use a local
    proxy server to register for the service, also make payment in foreign
    currency etc.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 21, 2005
  10. BigBen

    BigBen Guest

    Indeed ... I'm temporally without broadband, and when get back to
    using it, my upload speed won't higher than 128 Kbps.

    While I could make perfect calls using Skype, I could hardly talk to
    the tech support of the PT Sip provider I'm now using ... Imagine if
    the connection had to go to somewhere further away ...

    I do like very much the possibility of using an ATA converter, be able
    to send/receive faxes over VoIP - and that Skype won't allow (at least
    so far).
    Right, but I'm not interested in using a collection of SIP providers.
    Do you know any that will get me numbers in several countries - US,
    UK. NL, FR, and since we're at it, PT

    One disadvantage of Skype I must admit, is their tech spport is
    practically non existant :-(

    What are talking about??
    I'm used to that already - I get many bicycle parts from the UK, other
    bits and pieces from the US (mostly when cousins are coming over),
    etc.

    Call me what you like, but I'm appalled by the existing multitude of
    SIP providers :-()

    Regards,
    JBR

    BigBen, Oct 21, 2005
  11. maybe it is a good opportunity to show then how easy it is.
    of course. From many you can even get a telephone number for free.
    as a start, try e.g. FreeWorldDialup.
    What makes a difference is which software/hardware you use, because with
    SIP you do have the choice. X-lite might be a good starting point.

    Georg Schwarz, Oct 21, 2005
  12. I am also using ADSL 1024/128 kbps and I have so problems with SIP.
    Maybe your SIP provider and/or your SIP client does not work too well.
    receiving faxes over VoIP makes little sense. There are providers who
    give you a dedicated Fax number and forward to you any incoming faxes
    (in e.g. PDF, TIFF, etc.) by email to the email address you specify.
    Some of them are even doing so for free. I know such offeres in
    Germany, Austria, and the US.
    with the right software, e.g. X-Litte, you can stay registered with
    several SIP proxies at the same time. All you need to do is configure
    each SIP proxy once.
    you get what you pay for. And besides, it's not only closed source, even
    worse it's also uan ndocumented non-standard protocol.
    well, for the services I tried so far, none of this was necessary.
    (yes, I am behind a NAT)

    Georg Schwarz, Oct 21, 2005
  13. BigBen

    Martin² Guest

    There may be some hurdles to overcame, e.g. you may need to use a local
    Ok, an example, Sipgate.co.uk will give you a free UK number (you get a
    choice of area code) if you register from a UK IP range, so if you are
    outside UK, you have to register from via an UK proxy server.
    Same for sipgate.de . There is an US provider with free Washington numbers,
    can't remember the name right now.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 22, 2005
  14. BigBen

    Ivor Jones Guest

    www.ipkall.com - Washington State (360 area code) numbers. They plug Free
    World Dialup on the site but you can route to any SIP provider.

    Works well.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 24, 2005
  15. And if you have a static, routable address for your voip phone they
    will even route directly to your phone -- no need for a SIP provider
    at all.

    Great service!
    Agreed!

    Although a think their success might be causing the network connection
    to saturate once in a while, causing a few seconds of drop-out. I
    don't notice as many drop outs when I get sip calls from my
    colorado-based for-pay provider.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Oct 24, 2005
  16. BigBen

    Wes Groleau Guest

    In contrast, I have made ONE good call with SkypeOut.
    The sound quality was perfect. But that was after three
    attempts to the same number where it rang and they picked up
    but there was NO audio either way. Since then, about ten
    more tries. To PSTN lines, either NO audio, or audio only
    one-way. To a Vonage phone number, audio quality mediocre
    but there's an amazing delay. Sure, Skype and Vonage are
    "out of this world" but do the calls have to sound like
    the server is on the moon?

    I have read five to ten complaints similar to mine,
    and five to ten rave reviews. My conclusion is that
    we are the top and bottom two percent, and 96% have
    something they can tolerate because it's cheap.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
    all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
    three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, "That preacher
    said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
    stay with you guys."

    Wes Groleau, Nov 24, 2005