Skype with Pentium II 266 Mhz

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Jack.Hambabo, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. Jack.Hambabo

    Jack.Hambabo Guest

    Hello,

    a friend of mine wants to buy a laptop. I gather that a Pentium II
    266Mhz 160MB RAM might be enough for all the things she wants to do.
    All but one.
    She wants to use Skype.
    The linux skype system requirements state that one needs 400Mhz to
    execute Skype.
    Has anyone ever tried doing that?
    Has anyone maybe tried it on an even slower machine?
    The universityshop sells another laptop with a P3-400Mhz and 128MB RAM.
    This would match the system requirements but as I can't tried skype
    beforehand I'm not sure whether I can recommend this laptop to her.

    Any experiences?
    Someone maybe running it on 500Mhz, 600Mhz, 800Mhz, ...?

    Very many thanks,
    Jack

    Jack.Hambabo, Oct 20, 2005

  2. Jack.Hambabo

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ah well some people are easily pleased ;-)

    I've run Skype on a P200 with 256k RAM under Win98SE if that's any help.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 20, 2005

  3. Jack.Hambabo

    Jim Hatfield Guest

    I am using a P3/800 and I can always tell when a Skype event is
    about to happen as my typing stops being echoed....not enough
    CPU left to refresh the display.

    Jim Hatfield, Oct 20, 2005
  4. That's strange. I do use P3/800 512M RAM machine with Skype and multiple
    applications open, and there is nothing that indicates lack of CPU power.
    Granted, when you got a call thru Skype or otherwise, you tend to
    concentrate on the conversation and not do anything CPU-power demanding at
    that time, but the lack of CPU power is not showing in any obvious way.

    Delivered via http://www.telecom-gear.com
    http://www.telecom-gear.com

    telecom-gear.com, Oct 20, 2005