    huLLy Guest

    As above, can I use Skype to dial my Global Village VOIP number?

    Cheers,

    huLLy, Oct 17, 2006

  2. huLLy

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Yes, but not for free.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 17, 2006

  3. huLLy

    Brian Guest

    If by 'VOIP number' you mean the seven digit Global Village SIP number
    it is not possible. At least not directly and not without having Skype
    and a helper program running.

    Now if you are talking about a DID number supplied by Global Village
    there should be no problem with that.

    Brian.

    Brian, Oct 17, 2006
  4. huLLy

    huLLy Guest

    Rather annoying that Skype can't call VOIP numbers free... I guess they are
    protecting their own. Maybe it will be a feature added later in the programs
    evolution.

    Cheers to all that replied.

    huLLy, Oct 18, 2006
  5. huLLy

    Scope Guest

    Skype is all about making money, and I doubt very much they will add
    this feature. This is one of the reasons many of us dont choose Skype;
    you are locked into one provider and have to pay once you want to call
    anybody else.

    Scope, Oct 18, 2006
  6. huLLy

    The Invalid Guest

    You doubt but you don't know.
    It costs me nothing to call and use a video link to relatives and
    friends in Australia, the US and France.
    Why should I want anything else? to speak to nurds about bandwidth and
    bits and bytes?
    Dream on

    No the reason many techies don't use it is because it works without
    having to make hundreds of posts explaining to other poor sods how to
    fix their problems

    The Invalid, Oct 18, 2006
  7. Err, afaik you can make video calls using all the VoIP services available.
    So it's not the bandwidth hogging caused by the software turning anyone
    with more than a reasonable connection into a hub for directing
    controlling traffic.

    (Actually it's probably more the lack of a standards-based solution, a
    lack of peering agreements and the way it can't work with enum).

    Thomas Kenyon, Oct 18, 2006
  8. huLLy

    Scope Guest

    Correct me if I am wrong, but for free you can only call other Skype
    users!? Not everybody uses Skype, in fact, I hardly know anybody myself
    who uses Skype. With VoIP, using the right VoIP provider I can call any
    landline in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, US (mobile and landline),
    and so on, for FREE..

    I can call my grandma who certainly wouldnt have Skype, or my doctor to
    make an appointment (coz I doubt very much they have a skype machine
    running), the shop to order something, the list goes one.. I am free to
    call whoever I wish, not just other Skype users.. To me that sounds way
    more interesting than being able to connect my USB phone/headset to my
    computer to avoid having to configure my ATA.

    I know you can call to landlines using Skype aswell, but then we are
    back to the original point I was trying to make.. Its all about money then.

    Scope, Oct 18, 2006
  9. huLLy

    Martin² Guest

    Scope:
    Which provider, please ?
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 19, 2006
  10. huLLy

    Paul G Guest

    voipstunt
    voipcheap

    Paul

    Paul G, Oct 19, 2006
  11. huLLy

    Martin² Guest

    Paul:
    Thought so. They are NOT FREE any more (only in CPW speak !).
    You have buy credit every 120 days !
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Oct 20, 2006
  12. Thus spaketh Martin²:
    Yes, but that credit isn't wasted on 'free calls' you can still use that
    credit on chargeable calls, therefore if you used all your credit on
    chargeable calls, you can still call the 'free' destinations. This
    differs from the likes of Vonage where you have to pay for the inclusive
    calls, you pay your £8 and that's gone, you can't use that £8 for
    anything else.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Oct 24, 2006