    question posed above is as he explained it to me and my understanding of
    it. He obviously uses a network so no doubt someone will understand his
    worry and help me to help him be reassured.

    Derrick Fawsitt, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Derrick Fawsitt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Works ok for me using a Netgear DM602 combined modem/router.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 1, 2005

  3. Derrick Fawsitt

    Rick Merrill Guest

    You must put the Skype between the modem and the router, but that only
    impacts the data users. If he has a combined modem/router he has to
    change that by disabling the router function and adding another router.
    You did not state the router and modem make/type.

    Rick Merrill, Mar 1, 2005
  4. DLINK D1 614plus

    Derrick Fawsitt, Mar 1, 2005
  5. Derrick Fawsitt

    EdR Guest

    We use Skype over NAT through a software router and use it on multiple PC's
    in a business environment. No problems at all.
    The only 'problem' that can occur with VoIP and NAT is that it doesn't work.
    It will not disrupt your network. As far as I have seen, Skype is very good
    in traversing NAT. With SIP you have to jump through hoops to get a reliable
    connection.
    Regards!
    Erwin.

    EdR, Mar 1, 2005
  6. Derrick Fawsitt

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Sorry, you DID state the router type... is the Dlink using
    firmware version 3.43 ?

    Is he placing the Skpe between router and modem?

    Rick Merrill, Mar 1, 2005
  7. Derrick Fawsitt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:

    [snip]
    What's "the Skype" ..?!

    I have had no problem at all running Skype on any PC behind a multitude of
    routers/modems, what exactly is the problem here..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 2, 2005
  8. Derrick Fawsitt

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Depends on the SIP network and/or the hardware. I have had numerous
    problems with certain ATA hardware and none at all with others, on the
    same SIP account.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 2, 2005