Skype free internet phone calls

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gary L T, Sep 14, 2005.

  1. Gary L T

    Mark C Guest

    Right you are!

    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jennings-behave-test-results-01.txt
    | It is clear from discussions with various vendors and watching
    | how tests have changed over the years that symmetric is becoming
    | less common.

    I had assumed there was a trend towards more recent routers being
    symmetric, but in fact they are trending towards full cone or port
    restricted.

    Mark C, Sep 17, 2005

  2. Gary L T

    Richard Guest

    Crazy price for what amounts to a dect phone with a second dial button and a USB
    port.

    Richard, Sep 17, 2005

  3. Gary L T

    Alan Guest

    Alan, Sep 19, 2005
  4. Page not found...

    Besides, the point of the dualphone is it is cordless (unlike the
    futekfone), and it shows Skype users, status and controls your Skype status
    directly from the handset, 50m (indoors) or 300m (outdoors) from your PC...

    Mauricio Freitas, Sep 19, 2005
  5. Gary L T

    Alan Guest

    Odd - it works fine for me - maybe it was the connection at the time?

    Alternatively, go to their home page:

    www.tradetech.co.nz

    and then click on Futek on the left hand bar.

    In terms of features, I guess it comes down to whether you think the
    cordless option etc is worth paying nearly five times as much.

    Personally I wouldn't pay that much, but it is good that we have a
    choice.

    HTH,

    Alan.

    Alan, Sep 19, 2005
  6. Gary L T

    Mutlley Guest

    Are we talking about the same site?? I don't see any Futek on any
    left hand bar..

    Mutlley, Sep 19, 2005
  7. Gary L T

    Andrew Guest

    Andrew, Sep 19, 2005
  8. Same here

    Mauricio Freitas, Sep 19, 2005
  9. Mauricio Freitas, Sep 19, 2005
  10. Gary L T

    Alan Guest

    Main site:

    http://www.tradetech.co.nz/

    On my screen I see (left hand bar) main headings as follows:

    Retail customers
    Trade customers
    Trade Tech

    Under 'Trade Tech' there is a list as follows:

    Products
    Latest Products
    Profile
    Our Team
    Contact Us
    Links
    Newsletters
    What's New?
    Futekfone

    Click on the last one.

    Alternatively, this is the link it takes you to:

    http://www.tradetech.co.nz/futekfone_skype_voip_internet_phone.php

    HTH,

    Alan.

    Alan, Sep 19, 2005
  12. Gary L T

    Alan Guest

    Is the link wrapping and losing part in your newsreader perhaps?

    I get that quite often.

    This is an alternative link direct to the Futek page:

    http://tinyurl.com/ak8fy

    HTH,

    Alan.

    Alan, Sep 19, 2005
  13. This page is now showing... But the main site was showing only Spare
    components, OEM Components, Basic Stamp, Line Sharing on the left side.

    Perhaps this was an old version cached on a transparent proxy at Paradise,
    because with a forced refresh (CTRL F5) it is now showing what you say.

    Mauricio Freitas, Sep 19, 2005
  14. Gary L T

    Fishb8 Guest

    I can't get my microphone to work. I think it is a directplay related
    problem.

    google search indicates many many others with same problem but i cannot
    locate a solution.

    microsoft knowledge base resolution did NOT resolve??!!
    Tried this too but no joy!
    The solution involves reconfiguring some advanced sound settings and
    tweaking the Registry. Start by opening the Control Panel and selecting the
    Sounds And Audio Devices icon (in the Sounds, Speech, And Audio Devices
    category). Choose the Voice tab, locate the Voice Playback heading, and
    click the Advanced button. From the Advanced Audio Properties dialog box,
    choose its Performance tab and move the Hardware Acceleration slider to the
    right. It doesn't matter how far to the right, as long as the Hardware
    Acceleration slider is set to something other than None. Click OK to close
    the dialog boxes.

    Before continuing to the next phase of the solution, you must make sure
    Dpvsetup.exe isn’t open and running on your PC. Press the CTRL-ALT-DELETE
    key combination to access the Task Manager and locate any references to
    Dpvsetup.exe or DirectPlay Voice. End all of them and close the Task
    Manager.

    Now it’s time to edit the Registry. Open the Start menu, select Run, type
    regedit in the Open field, and click OK. In the Registry Editor, locate and
    highlight HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\DIRECTPLAY\VOICE\AUDIOCONFIG.
    The AudioConfig key should include a pair of nested folders labeled with
    hexadecimal numbers. Open both of them to reveal several Registry values,
    including three labeled as FullDuplex, HalfDuplex, and MicDetected.

    Right-click the FullDuplex value and select Modify from the pop-up menu. In
    the resulting Edit DWORD Value dialog box, type 3 in the Value Data field
    and click OK. Repeat the procedure for the HalfDuplex and MicDetected
    values, setting the Edit Value fields to 3 for HalfDuplex and 2 for
    MicDetected. Close the Registry Editor and reboot the computer. The
    microphone should now work correctly. If it doesn’t, you may have a
    malfunctioning microphone or Game Voice control pad on your hands.

    An error occurred during Directplay Voice setup. The error code is
    0x80004005
    Windows error message "Windows cannot execute DpvSetup.exe, use Add/Remove
    Programs control panel to install"

    I have XP prof. and DirectX 9.0c and all up to date drivers
    Tried all the remedies suggested and I'm still stuck

    XP Pro AMD P3200, 64, 1 Gb, MSI mb
    System Model: AWRDACPI
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow,
    ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Page File: 345MB used, 2113MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: /Silent
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit UnicodeRoy
    Help!

    Fishb8, Sep 19, 2005
  15. Gary L T

    Mutlley Guest

    No matter what I try I don't see it..

    Mutlley, Sep 19, 2005
  16. what tells you that it is direct play related?

    Does the mic show anything when you double click on the volume control
    icon down by the clock? not muted?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 19, 2005
  17. Gary L T

    Fishb8 Guest

    Hi Dave
    Nothing's muted, my microphone works on other systems. The DPV
    (directplayvoice) makes me think it's DirectPlay related, but I'm not sure.

    Fishb8, Sep 19, 2005
  18. Doesn't matter really. It is not a phone - it is a headset but instead of
    the standard form factor (headset + microphone) it is an all in one design
    that resembles a phone handset. There's nothing much, a couple of cables
    running out (Speaker Out, Mic In) and you plug directly to a sound card - in
    effect replacing the speaker/mic on your computer.

    Can't compare with the dualphone in terms of functionality, really. That's
    why cheaper.

    Mauricio Freitas, Sep 19, 2005
  19. Gary L T

    Alan Guest

    We you learn something new every day.

    That page with the Futek link has been there for some months at least,
    so I guess Paradise don't update their cache very often.

    Does that mean that we could have the same issue with other sites that
    appear to be static but aren't?

    Is there any way to stop our ISPs from crippling our surfing like
    that? I am on Woosh, not paradise, but presumably if one ISP does it,
    then the others might be too?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    Alan, Sep 19, 2005
  20. Gary L T

    Alan Guest

    Did you try running DirectX diagnostics?

    If not, it might be worth a try if you have a similar problem again.

    From the run prompt enter:

    dxdiag

    and then click OK.

    HTH,