  1. Gary L T

    Richard Guest

    I wont even use it thanks to that carry on.

    Richard, Sep 15, 2005

  2. Gary L T

    Dave Taylor Guest

    That carry on is how it works. Voice quality to North America land lines
    using Skype out is better than using my land line.

    Dave Taylor, Sep 15, 2005

  3. Gary L T

    Daver Guest

    How can that possibly be true?

    Daver, Sep 15, 2005
  4. I use it in the UK to phone home to nz, I use the skype out service
    which dials out to nz exchanges.
    We have talked for hours and only used €10 and everyone says the call
    quality is superiour to a toll call from the UK.
    Its all we will ever use for toll calls.
    I call vai bt broadband

    John in Surrey, Sep 15, 2005
  5. I thought this wouldn't be necessary with TCP/UDP hole punching, but I
    guess that's still not 100% reliable...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Sep 15, 2005
  6. Gary L T

    Richard Guest

    Well they can take there product and shove it, I dread to think what the call
    quality thru my meger 256/128k here would be for the people using it.

    as far as I am concerned, if you cant handle portfowarding to get incoming
    connections, you shouldnt be able to use 2 way things such as voice

    Richard, Sep 15, 2005
  7. Gary L T

    Richard Guest

    Well skype manages to make an attempt at working from the crippled unitec
    wireless that has only got ports http, https, pop3 imap and something else I
    forget open, so it has to be going thru somewhere that someone has a machine
    with port 80 available for it to connect to. It doesnt work well but I have
    never had skype work "well"

    Richard, Sep 15, 2005
  8. Well skype manages to make an attempt at working from the crippled unitec
    wireless that has only got ports http, https, pop3 imap and something else I
    forget open...[/QUOTE]

    <http://gnunet.org/papers/nat.pdf>

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Sep 15, 2005
  9. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    Thanks again for all the interesting replies. Another question: When I
    use the "view profile" option of people who come up in a search, it
    shows a circle with a question mark in the middle and says:
    "pending authorization". Does anyone know what this means?

    Gary L T, Sep 15, 2005
  10. Gary L T

    Daver Guest

    They need to authorise you so you can see when they are online.

    Daver, Sep 15, 2005
  11. if you have two users behind firewalls, they can't connect to each
    other(without pinholes), so they use a third party(non-firewalled user)
    to route te calls through.

    overly simplfied, but thats the general idea.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 15, 2005
  12. Mauricio Freitas, Sep 15, 2005
  13. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    Yes, thanks, that makes sense. Another point of interest is that you can go
    into
    "SKYPEME" mode, which means that you will accept calls from anyone.
    I did a search for people who were in the skypeme mode, but there were
    were only 3 or 4 people in any one country. So it seems that SKYPE is
    not used very often as a means of people just having a chat with strangers.
    I guess MSN or ICQ are more popular for this? But with about 3 million
    said to be online with SKYPE at one time, I would have thought the
    possibilities for interactive chatting would be very strong? I wonder why
    this does not seem to have taken off, or perhaps I have not made my
    search properly?

    Gary

    Gary L T, Sep 15, 2005
  14. Gary L T

    Mutlley Guest

    Can you get a loop start to eithernet interface for skype so that
    regular phones can be connected to it??

    Mutlley, Sep 16, 2005
  15. Gary L T

    Richard Guest

    I have only seen USB ones, and even then, some are pretty crap in that they cant
    generate ringing to the connected phone, and one I saw was reliant on being
    connected to a phone line as well to actually power the telephone, the analog
    line was busyed out when the skype connection was in use.

    Seems some also push the dtmf detection off into software so it works
    sporadically since the driver is so half assed.

    Richard, Sep 16, 2005
  16. Gary L T

    Mike_P Guest

    Mike_P, Sep 16, 2005
  17. <http://gnunet.org/papers/nat.pdf>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 16, 2005
  18. Gary L T

    Mark C Guest

    STUN doesn't work for "symmetrical NAT" routers, which
    is to say, it doesn't work for most routers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN

    Express Talk uses and knows about UPnP, so if your router
    understands UPnP, my guess is that's why it works.
    (OR maybe you have an older router and stun does work...
    You DO NEED to set up a stun server in the setup (IIRC))

    I got SIP VoIP working over a NAT router using both X-Lite and
    Express Talk, and only had to forward some ports. Unless your
    router supports UPnP, you will likely have to forward some ports.

    Skype works through NAT routers by choosing some poor sap skype
    user somewhere else on the skype network to relay a call between
    users behind NAT. Great if you are the user behind the NAT and
    can handle the extra latency of being relayed. Not too great if
    you are the poor sap who's PC has been chosen to relay calls (and
    use up your bandwidth). (They also use "UDP hole punching", but
    that also does not work with symmetric NATs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDP_hole_punching)

    Mark

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/08/how_does_skype_get_through/

    http://www.skype.com/products/explained.html
    | Non-firewalled clients and clients on publicly routable IP
    | addresses are able to help NAT’ed nodes to communicate by
    | routing calls

    http://www.skype.com/security/guide-for-network-admins.pdf
    (Pages 3 and 4)

    http://www.mocaedu.com/mt/archives/000140.html