    could have been released in, oh, let's say 1936.
    (and if they go into this in the commentary I'll find out in the
    morning)

    Dyuob Poltice, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Dyuob Poltice

    Sam Rouse Guest

    Somewhere in the film, the year is pegged at 1938 (e.g. something happened in
    1907, and somebody says "31 years ago"). Given that the Hindenburg disaster
    occurred in '37, and the Empire State Building was completed in '31 (with
    dirigible docking originally intended - see
    http://history1900s.about.com/library/weekly/aa090700b.htm ), it's fair to say
    that the film is a view of the '39 future as filmed in, say, 1930, with '40s
    color, and 2004 fx (something like that is stated in the extras). Add "Oz" and
    it's solidly in the realm of alternate universe.

    What a great flick!

    Sam Rouse, Jan 29, 2005

  3. Couldn't agree more. Did you see the crowns on the cap devices of the
    zeppelin's officers? Suppose the Kaiser never abdicated?

    Raúl Bloodworth, Jan 29, 2005
  4. Dyuob Poltice

    Jordan Guest

    Underwater there's the wreck of the ship King Kong was on. So when was
    that supposed to happen?

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Jan 31, 2005
  5. Dyuob Poltice

    Andrew Venor Guest

    I would imagine that would be the year King Kong was released, 1933.

    ALV

    Andrew Venor, Jan 31, 2005

  6. Anybody heard when Peter Jackson's remake of King Kong is going to hit
    theatres?

    E. Barry Bruyea, Jan 31, 2005
  7. I thought that was the Titanic, with 4 funnels

    Dyuob Poltice, Jan 31, 2005
  8. Ahh found it.
    Venture at ~1:08:15. Titanic at~1:09:24-1:09:32
    cool.

    Dyuob Poltice, Feb 1, 2005
  9. Dyuob Poltice

    Andrew Venor Guest

    December 14, 2005 in the United States and Canada. For other countries
    click here. http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0360717/releaseinfo

    ALV

    Andrew Venor, Feb 1, 2005
  10. Didn't see the Titanic (heard it's there, though), but the Venture is
    clearly featured in the underwater-sub maneuvers...

    Derek Janssen (so THAT'S what that in-joke was!--Wondered why the camera
    hung on it for so long)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 1, 2005
  11. Dyuob Poltice

    Mark McGee Guest

    According to the documentary on the disc, if you look really close at the
    Empire State Building in the background at some point in the film, you'll
    see King Kong hanging from the top.

    Mark McGee, Feb 3, 2005