    (Prestwich (MRPRE))

    A single re-sync event each morning starting last Saturday.
    Times courtisy of http://f8lure.mouselike.org/

    Sat, 23 Aug 2014 01:47 GMT (estimated)
    Sun, 24 Aug 2014 01:46:42 GMT
    Mon, 25 Aug 2014 01:14:48 GMT
    Tue, 26 Aug 2014 01:09:36 GMT
    Wed, 27 Aug 2014 01:10:19 GMT

    I'll post updates.

    Graham., Aug 27, 2014

  2. Graham.

    Graham J Guest

    Most of the ADSL services I monitor re-sync in the early hours of some
    mornings. I suspect BT break things overnight ...

    Graham J, Aug 27, 2014

  3. So it's not just me then. I have FTTC, and the online time shown by my
    router gets up to a maximum of about 30 days before resetting to zero.
    Checking the log invariably shows PPP down followed about 30 seconds
    later by PPP up, and always around 4am, plus or minus an hour or so.
    The timing is definitely not random, so I assume it's something being
    done deliberately, presumably at that time of day so as to ensure
    minimum disruption.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Aug 27, 2014
  4. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    My BE connection never did that and my Sky BB has only started doing
    this daily outage this week.

    Unlike BE these SKY dynamic IPs are not in the least bit sticky, so
    even a brief re sync changes the IP. I monitor mine using a DDNS host
    name.

    Since yesterday I have also been monitoring eight random Sky IP
    addresses directly, they are all still up except one that fell off at

    Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:13:40 GMT.

    I'm not reading any significance into that.

    Graham., Aug 28, 2014
  5. Graham.

    Paul Cummins Guest

    My Sky FTTC fell over just after midnight this morning, and came back
    almost exactly 3 hours later.

    This also impacted my phone line, which was "engaged" for all outgoing
    calls, and NU for all incoming.

    Paul Cummins, Aug 28, 2014
  6. Graham.

    Woody Guest

    One to watch.

    Whenever BT do any system switching or planned routing work
    it will always be done at 35 mins past the hour. This is
    historical and was largely related to Strowger and crossbar
    exchanges but from what I have heard has never been
    recinded.

    Woody, Aug 28, 2014
  7. Graham.

    Mark Carver Guest

    Or more likely preventative maintenance, does it matter for a domestic
    grade service ? Seems the best time to carry out the work ?

    I get one or two overnight breaks on my Plusnet FTTC per month. Might be
    BT, might be Plusnet, I don't really care because I'm fast asleep.

    Mark Carver, Aug 28, 2014
  8. Graham.

    David Guest

    Do these breaks in service bring the sync. speed down?
    Regards
    David

    David, Aug 28, 2014
  9. Graham.

    Mark Carver Guest

    They shouldn't do, and in many cases there may not actually be any loss
    of sync anyway, particularly with FTTC, where the work is happening
    upstream of the cabinet, i.e at the exchange.

    Mark Carver, Aug 28, 2014
  10. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    All my phone calls go via VoIP and it's not inconcevable for a call to
    be in progress at that time, but it's not happened so far.

    The good news is there was no "event" this morning.

    Graham., Aug 28, 2014
  11. Graham.

    Mark Carver Guest

    And if it does, grab the 'normal phone' and ring them back via that ?

    That's the trade off for using a domestic grade ADSL connection, and 'VOIP'

    Mark Carver, Aug 29, 2014