Sky and TalkTalk are planning rollout of 1GB fiber broadband next year in York

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by 7, Apr 16, 2014.

  1. 7

    7 Guest

    Sky and TalkTalk are planning rollout of 1GB fiber broadband next year in York

    York is pretty lucky.

    I wonder if anyone is rolling out broadband with fast upload speeds.

    Or may be its time to deploy broadband companies with
    business models that focus on high upload speeds and modest
    download speeds.

    The problem at the moment is that you can't participate
    in international work if broadband upload speeds are
    screwed because some management troll decided upload
    speeds at low cost is not needed. They easily forget a minutes of
    HD cam video turns into gigabytes of data that
    need to be uploaded rapidly in order to participate
    in international online meetings.

    BT are supposed to roll out 300Mbit soon - but their upload
    speeds are the same as 70mbit broadband - limited to about 16mbit.
    Gaining all that extra down load speed won't improve
    my prospects if I can't upload faster.

    Fiber to the premise companies operating in London are not
    any good unless you got lot of people pooling and inviting
    the company to cable up your street.

    I can easily pay 100 pounds a month for 100mbit upload speeds
    if any company out there is offering.

    7, Apr 16, 2014

  2. 7

    NY Guest

    Isn't HD for video-conferencing a bit excessive? Wouldn't fairly
    well-compressed SD video be sufficient? Or do you work for a company which
    makes HD video programmes where you need to transfer them to colleagues as
    part of your core business?

    I agree that the present ADSL model is no longer as sensible as it used to
    be: what's the point of having 8 Mbps or faster download if you cannot get
    faster than 0.5 Mbps upload in the days of online cloud backup, when you may
    have several hundred GB of data to upload when you are first setting up
    cloud storage, even if thereafter the incremental backup may be fairly
    small. It took several days of continuous transfer to upload my wife's music
    from iTunes to Google Music, and that was only a few hundred MB.

    I'm toying with getting FTTC but it would cause horrendous problems with
    rerouting cable within our house and cost a lot in BT fees because we have
    very old wiring with an ancient GPO rectangular junction box: asking around
    it seems that BT would charge us to remove that and install proper wiring,
    and they wouldn't allow wiring under carpets and under carpet strips in
    doorways.

    NY, Apr 17, 2014

  3. Indeed - see http://search.dilbert.com/comic/Video Puppet from twenty
    years ago.

    R. Mark Clayton, Apr 17, 2014
  4. 7

    7 Guest

    Failure to read properly.
    There is a big difference between video conferencing
    and uploading HD video of product demonstration, animations,
    syncing terabytes of disk content.
    That is a very specific issue and different to my issue.

    The issue I have is that I can't participate in international
    meetings because I can't upload fast enough.

    I can eventually sync anything from 100MB to 120GB disk given enough days,
    but that is NOT participation in the business
    sense of the word.

    The ADSL business model has failed and its going to drag UK plc to the
    grave with it.

    You can simplify it for them. Install the kit on the first room from the
    outside wall and get some friend to route it yourself inside the house.

    7, Apr 17, 2014
  5. 7

    Graham J Guest

    [snip]
    What upload speed is required in order to participate in these meetings?

    Where are the other participants and what upload speeds do they achieve?
    What do they pay for their internet connections?

    An internet connection at 100 Mbits/sec uncontended might cost you £100k
    setup and £10k per year to operate. How does this compare with the
    costs of travelling to these international meetings?

    Graham J, Apr 17, 2014
  6. 7

    7 Guest

    Its hard to define it as any one single issue.
    It certainly would not get repaired by me unilaterally
    spending £100,000 for a dopey internet link
    when others have in their country the same thing for under £50.

    The story behind participation starts like this.

    If you got the greatest airports, the greatest shipping ports and the
    greatest financial services in the world,
    what good is it tomorrow if you can't check up on deliveries, or book on
    line tickets or place a stock order because their internet doesn't work?

    If the internet service providers become slack, then these major
    power houses of revenue can't participate.

    All that money and effort spent on laws, governance, infrastructure
    and the rest gets laid to waste in days all because internet is not working.

    I got virgin media who claims to give you 10% upload bandwidth.
    And even with that, they seem to interfere with VoIP so I can never make
    relible VoIP calls despite having 10 times too much upload bandwidth needed
    to make the VoIP call. This issue won't get repaired my me forking
    out money to buy their land line and paying extortion rates for phone call
    when my competitors can make the same call for 1p a minute.

    So I got VoIP on a BT broadband, and its great.
    So unilterally, I paid double money for two internets now just to get
    reliable VoIP. My competitor laughs at my doubled expenses.

    All those management trolls up in big busines sat in ivory towers
    don't seem to realize these kind of hoops are killing UK's internet
    and UK plc with it.

    So the next piece of the puzzle is that I got to be able to upload
    vast amounts of information
    A big piece of work takes me 3 weeks to do to upload to Far East.
    Yet another related outfit did the same work in 1 week
    betwen Shanghai and Guanzhou.
    This naturally raises eyebrows. Why does that company need to waste
    3 weeks with me when they could do all the work with
    the more efficient group?

    I can't partiticpate if all the management trolls sat up in ivory
    towers can't be bothered to give me massive upload speeds. and
    massive high speed international links.

    If you are government and you do your best to make big things
    like Dover, Heathrow and The City happen, you are falling down
    on your job if you are not provisioning massive upload and download
    capabilties, and massive pipes into big industrial centers
    like China, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Philippines, US, India, South Africa,
    Brazil and so on.

    Why not order BT, or set up a government funded competitor to BT,
    that will lay down massive international pipes to other major
    centers of commerce, and so if you are in UK trying to do work
    in China, Philippines and so on, the UK traffic would get routed
    specially fast through those pipes to the local centers of commerce.

    There is a lot of money to be made for not settling for second
    best when it comes to upload speeds and international bandwidths
    to make sure UK plc can participate in major industrial centers.

    7, Apr 20, 2014
  7. 7

    Kraftee Guest

    Snip head in clouds vent by resident school boy.

    Give it a rest

    All that money and effort spent on laws, governance, infrastructure
    and the rest gets laid to waste in days all because internet is not working

    So the country stops (literally) because your Virgin connection can't keep
    up........sorry don't happen

    If you got the greatest airports, the greatest shipping ports and the
    greatest financial services in the world,
    what good is it tomorrow if you can't check up on deliveries, or book on
    line tickets or place a stock order because their internet doesn't work?

    But it does, just not as fast as you want yours to work.

    And so it goes on, the school holidays will soon be over so you aught to
    catch up with all that project work you should be doing, oh sorry is your
    Virgin connection to slow?

    Kraftee, Apr 20, 2014
  8. 7

    Steve Guest

    7 presented the following explanation :
    You can have everything you want. Blisteringly fast upload speeds are
    available, just as are blisteringly fast download speeds. Everything is
    do-able, you just need to be able to throw enough money at it. The
    products are there, just buy and pay for it and you can have it - but I
    suspect that you don't want to pay the going rate so stop bleating
    about how hard done to you are.

    Steve, Apr 20, 2014
  9. 7

    Bob Eager Guest

    Oh, God, he's back (7 that is). Please ignore him.

    Bob Eager, Apr 20, 2014
  10. 7

    Kraftee Guest

    I'm glad I was not the only one who can still remember the tirades from that
    source, looking at the calendar it won't be for much longer.

    Kraftee, Apr 21, 2014
  11. 7

    Bob Eager Guest

    Yes, the moon is down to 59% of full today.

    Bob Eager, Apr 21, 2014
  12. 7

    7 Guest

    No doubt your competitor laughs at your ability to throw away money.
    Its painful to not hear him bleat a word about your woes don't you think?

    7, Apr 21, 2014
  13. 7

    7 Guest

    Bob Eager wrote:

    Bog Eager the internet troll without a job calls on deity again?

    News at 10!!

    Your fellow socks you are pounding up their ass with your left hand
    all seem to agree with you every word you type troll!!

    They always do :)

    Have you thought about getting a decent paid job after
    working the newsgroup all this time as an internet troll?

    Commies like you expect to be paid, clothed and fed
    but produce nothing of value to society sapping off the
    rest of society.

    --

    Is it worth listening to opinions of low pay trolls
    hired by 4th rate trolling companies any who?

    Not anymore me thinks!

    Trolling is an Industry in USA
    ------------------------------

    Hiring low pay online trolls is ignorant.

    Those hiring online trolls are too afraid to make a statement
    in person in case their bollocks got cut off and sold
    on ebay for 2 cents. The directors of companies that set up trolling
    corporations are themselves afraid of ebay.

    Most US politicians and businesses
    are so corrupt and reliant to the point of addiction
    on trolls and trolling and so they fund it all illegally
    through charities because
    funding through charities is untraceable
    through loopholes in US law.

    The lastest insertions of NSA trolls
    is in the courier busienss. If you thinking of ordering stuff
    through Fedexx or UPSs or any US based courier
    then be sure to give it a miss. The NSA trolls and their
    equivalents have been inserted in there to pass up information
    to corporate thieves. They can order
    up disruption to your deliveries, especially if you are open
    source company. Typically stuff goes missing whenever
    there are important samples being couriered around, or when
    there is about to be some important event taking place.

    With trolls inserted into every fabric of socienty, USA is become
    the world's top trolling nation.

    It doesn't end there.

    Even the NSA and GCHQ is afraid of internet trolling corporations
    like Burson Marstelar and their parent company with its 100,000 trolls.
    They should be hacking them because it is their job
    to get the inside dirt on every politician, and powerful businesses
    that rely on trolling corporations. These internet trolling corporations
    have more information than governments that is worthwhile for the
    power it has over the running of the world than any other internet treasure
    worth its weight in gold.

    Nearly all foul mouthed trolling across all of usenet and forums
    originates from the USA trolling industry.
    The same ones screaming abuse against Americans
    are the same ones screaming abuse at the rest of the world.
    The US politician is proud because without their
    daily dose of illegal funding through charities, and the
    services of industrial strength trolling machinery,
    they would be out flipping burgers for a living.

    Troll friendly usenet sites like eternal-september.org
    banned by att.net, ameritech.net, bellsouth.net, pacbell.net
    and prodigy.net for its foul mouth and lies over trolling
    and off topic spammer friendly posting policies against
    the usenet charter of all known groups is where all of
    the trolling problems begins.

    The US politicians, embassy staff and anyone else falling for it like
    Spanish government should know that the US trolls
    ordering embassies to this kind of work
    have no mandate for these kinds of activities.

    Just rich companies that have bank rolled teams of asstroturfers
    to create fake support and certainly no mandate.
    Companies like Eedleman also run fake survey companies
    and delete everything except outlying data to fake their reports
    to add legitimacy to their trolling campaigns.

    The US trolling companies now set up branch offices
    in foreign countries like Netherlands
    and UK to post illegally and subversively what is
    handed down the chain of command leading all the way to
    fake charities and marketing trolls
    shielded illegally behind big corporations in US.
    Wikileaks tells us 5% of all US diplomatic activity is to
    do with Appil and Micorshaft trolls and their
    trolling armies controlling US diplomatic services
    at tax payer expense as their personal puppets.

    There is NO MANDATE when fake asstroturfers are driving
    the agenda.

    The situation is so bad, it has spread into the military.
    No one now knows who drives what agenda because
    there is no traceability.

    The fscking military, politicians, enviro nuts, music mafia,
    using asstroturfing technology need the riot act read to them.

    The situation is so incomprehensible that
    the US has been declared falsely that it is the most charitable nation in
    the world when at the same time 3 million US families
    are living in shelter, and most of that charity money is fake
    money being diverted from corporations into the coffers of asstroturfing
    and PR companies. What would you do if you were
    forced into a shelter and all your charity
    money was stolen from your charity?
    You are down and they still want to steal YOUR CHARITY MONEY?!??
    Thats right you would tell them NEVER and tell
    them fsck off in no uncertain terms and get the law changed
    to make it a criminal offense to steal charity money
    or spend it on anything other than 100% certified peer reviewed charity
    without kickbacks, without creative accounting and
    without morally unjust criminal behavior within
    the charity system.

    Most of the money funneled through
    charities never make it to charitable causes in the USA.
    It is stolen by politicians and pressure groups to cover
    up their fake funding routes for asstroturfing.
    They are used to it so we got to get over it?

    No thanks!!!!

    Not a single politician, embassy staff or military has a
    mandate for one single political agenda because no one
    knows who is funding who and who's agenda is real
    and whose agenda is fake. Every signature collected
    is one more fake signature for a mandate written out by
    asstroturfers.

    Asstroturfing through charities undermines society,
    and all the nations dealing with US
    and it must stop because no one in US has any legitimate
    mandates for any of this activity any more.

    If they have it, then should display their mandate
    with pride, and show where the support had come from
    and if any of it is through charities, then the
    whole mandate is faked because charity status is being
    abused to hide funding routes for corporate asstroturfing.

    Asstroturfer offerings
    ----------------------

    I've just read the contents of the fbo.gov solicitation RTB220610

    The US government wants asstroturfers and with it sophisticated
    asstroturfing technology to drown out democratic free speech,
    and then hide from those whom it seeks to victimize.

    It was point no.3 that caught my eye:
    0003- Static IP Address Management

    What that means is the same as what I've been saying for a while about
    doofi, flatcake and clog are true.

    They are not individuals but a whole asstroturfing team
    behind each sock puppet.

    There isn't enough memory between the sock operators to know
    or remember what had been said earlier so you know the
    conversations are being typed out by multiple individuals
    impersonating each other.
    It was notable gaffs by the goofy doofy sock that first gave it away.

    The asstroturfing teams had already gone into government and offered them
    consulting services about what technology and asstroturfing
    practices were out there for fbo.gov to decide what they will
    purchase in solicitation RTB220610. Burson-Marstelar
    won the contract performing all the activities
    required in the solicitation with fantastic usenet software
    tools for targeting individuals and trolling 24/7
    and all built in outsourced India.

    ----------------------

    https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportu...d660336be91552fe8c1a51bacb2&tab=core&_cview=1

    Solicitation Number: RTB220610
    Notice Type: Sources Sought
    Synopsis: Added: 2010-06-22 13:42:52Jun 22, 2010 1:42 pm
    Modified: 2010-06-22 14:07:11Jun 22, 2010 2:07 pmTrack Changes

    0001- Online Persona Management Service.

    50 User Licenses, 10 Personas per user. Software will
    allow 10 personas per user, replete with background,
    history, supporting details, and cyber presences
    that are technically, culturally and geographically
    consistent. Individual applications will enable an
    operator to exercise a number of different online
    persons from the same workstation and without fear
    of being discovered by sophisticated adversaries.
    Personas must be able to appear to originate in
    nearly any part of the world and can interact through
    conventional online services and social media platforms.
    The service includes a user friendly application
    environment to maximize the user's situational
    awareness by displaying real-time local information.

    0002- Secure Virtual Private Network (VPN).

    1 each VPN provides the ability for users to
    daily and automatically obtain
    randomly selected IP addresses through
    which they can access the internet. The daily
    rotation of the user s IP address prevents compromise
    during observation of likely or targeted web sites
    or services, while hiding the existence of the
    operation. In addition, may provide traffic mixing,
    blending the user s traffic with traffic from multitudes
    of users from outside the organization. This traffic
    blending provides excellent cover and powerful deniability.
    Anonymizer Enterprise Chameleon or equal

    0003- Static IP Address Management.

    :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

    50 each Licence protects the identity of government
    agencies and enterprise organizations. Enables organizations
    to manage their persistent online personas by assigning
    static IP addresses to each persona. Individuals
    can perform static impersonations, which allow
    them to look like the same person over time. Also allows
    organizations that frequent same site/service often to
    easily switch IP addresses to look like ordinary
    users as opposed to one organization.
    Anonymizer IP Mapper License or equal

    :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

    0004- Virtual Private Servers,

    CONUS. 1 each Provides CONUS or OCONUS points of
    presence locations that are setup for each customer
    based on the geographic area of operations the
    customer is operating within and which allow a
    customer?s online persona(s) to appear to originate
    from. Ability to provide virtual private servers that
    are procured using commercial hosting centers around
    the world and which are established anonymously. Once
    procured, the geosite is incorporated into the network
    and integrated within the customers environment and
    ready for use by the customer. Unless specifically
    designated as shared, locations are dedicated for use
    by each customer and never shared among other customers.
    Anonymizer Annual Dedicated CONUS Light Geosite or equal

    0005- Virtual Private Servers, OCONUS.

    8 Each Provides CONUS or OCONUS points of presence
    locations that are setup for each customer based on
    the geographic area of operations the customer is
    operating within and which allow a customer?s
    online persona(s) to appear to
    originate from. Ability to provide virtual private
    servers that are procured using commercial hosting
    centers around the world and which are established
    anonymously. Once procured, the geosite is incorporated
    into the network and integrated within the customers
    environment and ready for use by the customer. Unless
    specifically designated as shared, locations are dedicated
    for use by each customer and never shared among other
    customers. Anonymizer Annual Dedicated OCONUS Light
    Geosite or equal

    0006- Remote Access Secure Virtual Private Network.

    1 each Secure Operating Environment provides a reliable
    and protected computing environment from which to stage
    and conduct operations. Every session uses a clean
    Virtual Machine (VM) image. The solution is accessed
    through sets of Virtual Private Network (VPN) devices
    located at each Customer facility. The fully-managed
    VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) is an environment
    that allows users remote access from their desktop into
    a VM. Upon session termination, the VM is deleted and
    any virus, worm, or malicious software that the user
    inadvertently downloaded is destroyed. Anonymizer
    Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Solution or equal.

    Contracting Office Address:
    2606 Brown Pelican Ave.
    MacDill AFB, Florida 33621-5000
    United States
    Place of Performance:
    Performance will be at MacDIll AFB, Kabul, Afghanistan and Baghdad, Iraq.
    MacDill AFB , Florida 33679
    United States

    Primary Point of Contact.:
    Russell Beasley,
    Contracting Officer

    Phone: (813) 828-4729
    Fax: (813) 828-5111

    7, Apr 21, 2014
  14. 7

    chris Guest

    I'm curious. In your various posts on this theme you've never - AFAIK -
    specified what these huge data are? What's so special about them that
    need to be pumped around the world every nanosecond.

    I work (as in paid with real money) daily with files tens of GB in size,
    but rarely do they need to be shared in any 'live' manner to colleagues
    or business associates. BTW I attend 'international meetings' as well.

    There are several ways to deal with your situation, your demand for ever
    faster uploads is not the best one as seems obvious to everyone but you.

    chris, Apr 22, 2014
  15. 7

    Kraftee Guest

    Look at the school calendar, or even go back historically on this group and
    you'll find that the OP has a long history of venting about the lack of
    super fast internet connections in the UK and then going strangely quiet as
    soon as the school holidays end.

    Kraftee, Apr 22, 2014
  16. 7

    chris Guest

    I realise '7' is a troll, but I genuinely am interested to find what he
    thinks constitutes a business need for his outlandish requirements.

    I usually ignore, but sometimes I try to engage...

    chris, Apr 22, 2014
  17. 7

    Kraftee Guest

    I think you'll find the clue is with his slow speeds experienced with
    Virgin, mentioned in one of the last posts (on this pass). Don't worry in a
    month or two it'll be back again complaining about something or other.

    Kraftee, Apr 22, 2014
  18. 7

    7 Guest

    chris wrote:

    Troll!!!!!

    So are you saying you didn't read the bit where it says "HD video of product
    demonstration, animation, syncing terabytes of disk content"?

    7, Apr 22, 2014
  19. 7

    7 Guest

    wrote:

    What a fscking internet troll!!!

    Did you not read the post sent to your other sock?

    Here it is again:

    7, Apr 22, 2014
  20. There are only two words that might get through to Mr 7 - the second one
    is "off" and the first one begins with an F.

    George Weston, Apr 22, 2014