SIZE MATTERS WITH THE 40D!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Jul 21, 2008.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Jul 21, 2008

  2. Annika1980

    Hans Kruse Guest

    Hans Kruse, Jul 21, 2008

  3. Annika1980

    Helen Guest

    Helen, Jul 21, 2008
  4. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    I agree. The #1 problem with the MP-E Macro is the tiny DOF.
    I have tried Helicon Focus for a few shots, but you have to be able to
    keep the bugs still while you get all the shots. Since I shoot almost
    all my macros handheld, it makes it tough to get enough shots at
    incremental distances to make it work. You really need a tripod mount
    with focusing rails to make it work.

    Here's one I made with Helicon Focus.
    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/89779168

    Annika1980, Jul 21, 2008
  5. Annika1980

    Hans Kruse Guest

    There is also CombineZM which is free. It is clear that dof-stacking only is
    realistic when you have the camera on a tripod and the insects are
    immovable. If you can manage that then you could use remote live view with
    your 40D and from your PC adjust the focus for dof-stacking.
    Yes, nice.

    Hans Kruse, Jul 21, 2008
  6. Annika1980

    jimkramer Guest

    Not with the MP-E 65mm it is a fixed focus lens. You can with the any lens
    that has a motor in it.
    -Jim

    jimkramer, Jul 21, 2008
  7. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    With the MP-E lens you can simply move the camera back in forth to
    change focus.
    I have used the Live View feature for this purpose and it is very
    helpful, despite what our favorite troll says.

    Annika1980, Jul 21, 2008
  8. Annika1980

    jimkramer Guest

    With the MP-E lens you can simply move the camera back in forth to
    change focus.
    I have used the Live View feature for this purpose and it is very
    helpful, despite what our favorite troll says.

    Have you used it (Liveview) tethered to the computer? You can, with
    auto-focus lenses, adjust the focus (with the computer) in stepped
    increments; so doing a composite with CombineZM or Helicon is much easier;
    assuming you have the camera mounted on a tripod and your subject is not
    moving.
    -Jim

    jimkramer, Jul 22, 2008
  9. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Not for macros. The only times I have done that were for making some
    time-sequence movies.

    Annika1980, Jul 22, 2008
  10. Annika1980

    Hans Kruse Guest

    I'm sure you would love it, but it requires (of course) insects, that are
    dead or flowers or other things that dont move. The live view on the PC also
    gives you DOF preview.

    Hans Kruse, Jul 22, 2008
  11. Annika1980

    Noons Guest