sitecom 300N wireless & url block

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by Menestrello, Aug 9, 2010.

  1. Menestrello

    Menestrello Guest

    I'm trying to block access to certain urls (http://www.facebook.com
    among others...) from a particular pc on my net, which is connected via
    wi-fi.

    The dedicated page on my router config says "You can block access to
    certain Web sites for a particular PC by entering either a full URL
    address or just a keyword of the Web site"

    1) but on the same page there's non way telling it the particular
    internal IP to block, only the http address or keywords...

    2) Not only. If I enter http://www.facebook.com the site gets blocked,
    but only for another pc which is connected wired to the router, and not
    for the wireless connected one, which is what I want to do (but, if
    point 1) is irresolvable... I can also accept to block the url from ANY
    pc on the net)

    Any suggestion?

    Thanks, Menestrello

    Menestrello, Aug 9, 2010

  2. Menestrello

    Bob K Guest

    This isn't answering your question as to how to do this at the router, but:

    IF you have access to the computer you are trying to restrict, you might
    consider doing the blocking at the computer.

    One way to do this is to make an entry in the computer's HOSTS file.
    The computer checks that file for a URL before going out to a DNS server.

    There might be other ways, also -- possibly if the computer is running a
    firewall, it could be used for preventing access.

    Obviously, these methods require you have access to the computer, and
    the person using it normally would not have the expertise to undo what
    you have done.

    One thing to keep in mind, if you do the blocking at the computer, then
    it doesn't matter what router the computer is going thru to gain access
    to the internet, the blocking will work. If you set it up in your
    router, then that block would only apply to when the computer was
    connecting thru your router.

    On some routers you can block access to a URL for all but a specific PC.
    Maybe this would be another approach?

    ....Bob

    Bob K, Aug 11, 2010

  3. Menestrello

    Menestrello Guest

    Thanks Bob, in the end that's what I did, through windows firewall...
    Thanks again, for the moment it's enough, but i'll try to deepen into
    the router config, tho I guess I need a more "high end" one to do what i
    want to...
    Menestrello

    Menestrello, Aug 12, 2010