    know if I'm right in thinking that this number can only be used from
    within Germany? If so, that will suit him fine but it will be no good
    him giving out the number to people outside Germany.

    Jupiter, Feb 16, 2007

  2. Jupiter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Are you sure of the number..? The country code for Germany is 49 not 48.
    I'm not sure if 1801 numbers are generally usable from outside Germany as
    I've never used one. However the number will be callable from Sipgate, but
    do remember you will have to dial the full PSTN number as you can't dial
    SIP ID's in Germany from the UK and vice versa.

    Did he email Sipgate tech support..? What did they say..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 16, 2007

  3. Jupiter

    Jono Guest

    It's also worth pointing out that if the subject of this thread applies
    for a completely fresh Sipgate.de account, using their German
    relative's address, he will get a proper German "geographic" number.

    Jono, Feb 16, 2007
  4. Jupiter

    Brian A Guest

    You don't say, in your post, whether you use voip. If so you really
    don't need to call a landline number. Just find out his IP address
    and call that. Alternatively call via a Sipbroker access code, or, if
    you haven't got voip, try calling the Sipbroker number via a
    Sipbroker PSTN number, such as 0161-660-8447 (Manchester number).
    When it answers enter *777 (for Sipgate Germany) followed by your
    friend's sipgate IP number, then #.
    For other access codes etc. check out sipbroker.com.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Feb 16, 2007
  5. Jupiter

    Jupiter Guest

    You're quite right about the 0049 - my typing error!
    We've established that the number works fine within Germany. He
    arranged calls from relatives in Wurzen and Leipzig. No problems at
    all and they got charged the local rate for 0801. The number is not
    useable from outside Germany but that's not a problem to him.
    BTW, I have called him from Sipgate with his Sipgate ID several times
    and not had to use the full PSTN number.

    Jupiter, Feb 17, 2007
  6. Jupiter

    Jupiter Guest

    Good point, but wouldn't Sipgate know that his IP address was in a
    block allocated to a UK ISP and sus out the ploy?
    They'll have to be careful about this because it's a legal requirement
    in Germany that the user be resident there.

    Jupiter, Feb 17, 2007
  7. Jupiter

    Jupiter Guest

    It wasn't for me. It's for relatives in Germany without computers to
    be able to call him at local rates. We've established that they can,
    without problems, but the 01801 numbers don't work from outside
    Germany, just like our 0845. When my son was working in Holland, he
    had a hell of a job contacting the Halifax Bank because they would
    only provide an 0845 Call Centre number. I had to act as intermediary
    for him and argue with them until they gave me a geographic branch
    number which he was able to call.

    Jupiter, Feb 17, 2007
  8. Jupiter

    Jono Guest

    Jupiter wrote :
    Who'll have to be careful? Your friend or his relatives? His relatives
    would be users - they want to be able to call a German number when
    speaking to a relative in the UK. What's wrong with that?

    Jono, Feb 17, 2007
  9. Jupiter

    Jono Guest

    Jupiter used his keyboard to write :
    Why would you want to ring a German non-geo from outside Germany?
    Simply have a UK local number as well as the German number.....and call
    the UK number instead.

    Jono, Feb 17, 2007
  10. This site usually solves that sort of problem:

    http://www.saynoto0870.co.uk/

    Tim Powys-Lybbe, Feb 17, 2007
  11. Jupiter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    Ah, I am beginning to see the light. Was the German 01801 number obtained
    from sipgate.co.uk or sipgate.de..? You can get 01801 numbers (but not
    gerographic German numbers) from the UK site, so even though it's a German
    number it's still effectively a UK SIP ID. That would work.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 17, 2007
  12. Ivor, have to correct you;
    You can dial the the SIP ID's between german Sigate (sipgatde.de) and
    british Sipgate (sipgate.co.uk) numbers WITHOUT having to dial the full PSTN
    numbers
    remember we called each other before;)

    Philippe Deleye, Feb 17, 2007
  13. non geographical (german) Sipgate numbers used to start with +49 1801 555
    xxx xxxx
    - these numbers can be dialed from within Germany from most landlines
    (Telekom), but NOT from ALL providers !!!
    - these numbers are not at local rate, but can be sometimes expensive
    depending the provider or the price plan of the caller.
    - these numbers can usually be dialed from abroad, therefore NOT TRUE that
    it is not useable from outside Germany
    - you can apply for local german numbers with Sipgate, but there is a tough
    check: Name, Date of birth and adress need to match exactely with the entry
    in the "Shufa" Database
    (Shufa is a database containing the names of EVERY person who has opened a
    German account (Bank account, Visa, etc...)
    If the name you are using (incl. date of birth and complete adress) to
    register does not exactly match, then your request for a german geographical
    number gets denied.

    rgds
    Philippe

    Philippe Deleye, Feb 17, 2007
  14. Jupiter

    Jono Guest

    Philippe Deleye has brought this to us :
    Erm, no it doesn't - at least it didn't with me. Admittedly, I googled
    for an address that had an occupant with the same surname as mine,
    however, even if it asked for birthdate during the sign up (I can't
    remember that it did) It's very unlikely that this person in Wuppertal
    has the same name & birthdate as me.

    Jono, Feb 17, 2007
  15. Jupiter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    It used to work but it doesn't any more. The link between the databases
    was disconnected as it took too long to check every time a number was
    dialled. If you still have my number, try it now. I have a German SIP
    number as well as the UK ones and it doesn't work between the two for me.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 17, 2007
  16. Jupiter

    Jupiter Guest

    Sipgate are the ones who'll have to be careful. Presumably they are
    regulated by German authorities as they are allocating telephone
    numbers. Users won't be at risk.

    Jupiter, Feb 17, 2007
  17. Jupiter

    Jupiter Guest

    Obtained from sipgate.co.uk

    Jupiter, Feb 17, 2007
  18. Jupiter

    Ivor Jones Guest

    That explains it. He effectively has a UK SIP account, but with a German
    non-geo number. My German number is a genuine one from sipgate.de so is
    not directly available from the UK domain.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 17, 2007
  19. Indeed, you are right. It does not work anymore
    Philippe

    Philippe Deleye, Feb 24, 2007