    made any difference.

    Any ideas?

    Rob

    Rob Walker, Sep 12, 2006

  2. Rob Walker

    PhilT Guest

    where are they calling from - the issue is unlikely to be at your end
    its either the service provider - Sipgate - or the callers end.

    Sipgates' platform seems to regard ringing tone as an optional feature
    :)

    Phil

    PhilT, Sep 13, 2006

  3. Rob Walker

    Jono Guest

    PhilT laid this down on his screen :
    I was under the impression that it would be the OP's hardware that
    provides ringing tone to the caller....?

    Jono, Sep 13, 2006
  4. Rob Walker

    The s-Bray Guest

    No, it is usually the exchange that provides the ringing tone. In this case,
    the exchange is whatever the caller is connected to (pabx, local exchange,
    ATA adaptor)

    The s-Bray, Sep 13, 2006
  5. Rob Walker

    Jono Guest

    How, then, can I manipulate the type of ringing tone my callers hear?

    Jono, Sep 13, 2006
  6. Rob Walker

    Rob Walker Guest

    Telewest Landline or Vodafone mobile. If I register my account with the
    x-lite softphone then the caller does hear ringing...

    Rob Walker, Sep 13, 2006
  7. Rob Walker

    PhilT Guest

    no, its the originating callers exchange or hardware. You get ringing
    tone before the called phone starts ringing.

    Phil

    PhilT, Sep 13, 2006
  8. Rob Walker

    PhilT Guest

    I would start from the assumption that you can't do that, at least on a
    landline. Things like T-mobiles "caller tunes" are put on top of the
    ring tone.

    The other thing I've heard is "instant answer" systems where you are
    listening to a ring tone and paying for the call because the far end
    has answered, put you on hold and played a ring tone down the line all
    in a flash.

    Phil

    PhilT, Sep 13, 2006
  9. Rob Walker

    PhilT Guest

    perhaps that's the glitch behind sipgate missing ring tone -
    registration failures.

    I assume there is some signalling involved, whereby Sipgate's platform
    acknowledges the incoming call and sets about trying to connect,
    perhaps that is what starts the ring tone on the calling parties
    exchange.

    If the registration isn't there maybe this signalling isn't done, or
    maybe its done in a way that offends the Voda / Telewest hardware. Is
    it repeatable on a BT line ?

    Phil

    PhilT, Sep 13, 2006
  10. Rob Walker

    Rob Walker Guest

    Yep happened last night froma BT line too. I'm not sure what it is. I assume
    it's the phone but who knows. I'll try my other sipgate account and see if
    that makes any difference.

    Rob

    Rob Walker, Sep 13, 2006