SIP/SIMPLE - XMPP/Jingle : Wildfire + Asterisk + SER

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by kael, Feb 4, 2007.

  1. kael

    kael Guest

    Hello,

    I would like to set up the following VoIP architecture with a full
    SIP-to-XMPP gateway (chat, presence, audio and video) :

    1. XMPP server ;
    2. SIP server with my own domain ;
    3. SIP mapping with a SIP-to-PSTN number.

    The purpose is to have a transparent gateway so that when I'm connected
    with SIP I can chat, calls, etc, XMPP contacts and inversely when I'm
    connected with XMPP.

    For the (1), there's Wildfire and the Asterisk-IM pluggin
    http://www.jivesoftware.org/asterisk-im but I'm wondering if it allows a
    SIP URI to call a JID.

    For the (3), there's Asterisk, but I'm not sure that for the (2)
    Asterisk can be turned into a SIP server with a domain name.

    So, apparently, SER or OpenSER would be required.

    Has anybody set a similar architecture ?

    Thanks.

    kael, Feb 4, 2007

  2. Maybe I mis-understand your intention, but Asterisk can most certainly
    use a domain name. I use a sub-domain with mine but many people use FQDN's.

    Jonathan Roberts, Feb 4, 2007

  3. kael

    kael Guest

    Ok. I haven't found that when reading several how-to. Gotta read the
    very dense documentation. Thanks.

    kael, Feb 5, 2007
  4. If you haven't discovered this site yet, you might find his articles
    useful: www.nerdvittles.com. I believe he had one on Asterisk + Jabber
    a few months ago. Good luck!

    Jonathan Roberts, Feb 5, 2007
  5. kael

    NicHughes Guest

    Sure it can.

    See http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk SIP
    %20Channels

    Unless you want massive numbers of simultaneous calls I don't see why
    you would need SER for this setup.

    The domain name part of the question is trivial, set your DNS records
    to direct traffic to the IP of the Asterisk server.

    NicHughes, Feb 5, 2007
  6. kael

    kael Guest

    My doubt was not justify at all.

    I got it working, at least for the basics. The configuration is gonna be
    great moment, I guess. :)

    Thanks.

    kael, Feb 13, 2007
  7. kael

    kael Guest

    Thanks for the link. I haven't really read it yet but I've found a great
    starter http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials/ .

    kael, Feb 13, 2007