    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Dec 9, 2009

  2. I think you're getting a bit confused between how a protocol gets
    information from point A to point B and what information the protocol
    gets from point A to point B. While SIP is designed to be independent
    of the underlying transport layer and could theoretically get
    information from point A to point B by some non-TCP/IP mechanism, what
    is the actual information it's getting from point A to point B? Look
    at typical SIP messages and you'll see they convey information *about*
    TCP/IP protocols, addresses, and ports.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Dec 9, 2009

  3. Thx for the response.
    I have another query related with SIP while using Audio or Video
    stream.

    The voice and video stream communications in SIP applications are
    carried
    over another application protocol, the Real-time Transport Protocol
    (RTP).
    Parameters (port numbers, protocols, codecs) for these media streams
    are
    defined and negotiated using the Session Description Protocol (SDP)
    which
    is transported in the SIP packet body. And these parameters are used
    determine the type of media(Audio/Video) and put in the corresponding
    queue/buffer in the user terminal rather than parsing the entire
    packet to
    determine the presence or absence of audio / video.

    Is the above understanding correct ? Correct me if i am wrong.

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Dec 10, 2009
  4. You aren't asking these questions because you are looking for answers; you
    already know what the answers are. What is the *real* reason that you are
    asking these questions?

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Dec 27, 2009
  5. I wanted to confirm my understanding so that the design can
    be visualized.

    Thx,
    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Dec 27, 2009