    missing something?

    Cheers

    Brian Abbott

    Brian Abbott, Sep 29, 2005

  2. Brian Abbott

    peter Guest

    Hmm .. if you aspire to 1'st class be my guest :)

    peter, Sep 29, 2005

  3. Brian Abbott

    Brian Abbott Guest

    Sorry?

    Brian Abbott, Sep 29, 2005
  4. Brian Abbott

    Sean Guest

    I would recommend getting a Linksys PAP2, and using a DECT cordless phone :)

    Sean, Sep 29, 2005
  5. Brian Abbott

    Ian Guest

    Well

    It depends, Is this for your office or home? Your desk or to use round the
    house ?

    Personally an ATA is mainly for connecting Dect phone and faxes, Where as a
    hard phone is for where you would normally have a corded phone, IE Desk or
    office.

    Ian

    Ian, Sep 29, 2005
  6. Brian Abbott

    Brian Abbott Guest

    So is there a reason for that, like a hard phone gives better quality?

    Brian Abbott

    Brian Abbott, Sep 29, 2005
  7. Brian Abbott

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Not really, an ordinary phone (DECT or normal phone) with an ATA is no
    different to a dedicated IP phone, but the ATA gives you more flexibility
    as to the choice of phone as you can plug anything in.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 29, 2005
  8. Brian Abbott

    Ian Guest

    Yes, Features, like multiple line keys, Hands free, head set working, You
    could say quality but to the human ear there is negligable differance.

    Ian

    Ian, Sep 29, 2005
  9. Brian Abbott

    themgt Guest

    I can dial SIP addresses directly from my IP phone, could I do that with
    a DECT phone & ATA ?

    themgt, Sep 29, 2005
  10. Brian Abbott

    Sean Guest

    The linksys PAP2 i have allows me to have 8 quickdials, which can all be
    SIP addresses, and i have my dial plan so #1xxxx# sends as
    , #2xxxx# sends as etc...

    Sean, Sep 29, 2005
  11. Brian Abbott

    Ivor Jones Guest

    What he said..! I can enter them as speed dials but otherwise I wouldn't
    think so.

    How often do you need to do that though rather than using the normal phone
    number..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 29, 2005
  12. Brian Abbott

    Brian Abbott Guest

    Ian

    But is there any of that which I couldn't do with the right POTS phone?

    Cheers

    Brian Abbott

    Brian Abbott, Sep 30, 2005
  13. Brian Abbott

    Ian Guest

    Very often.
    Ian

    Ian, Sep 30, 2005
  14. Brian Abbott

    Sean Guest

    Quite often actually. :)

    Sean, Sep 30, 2005
  15. Brian Abbott

    Ian Guest

    Yes line keys, registered to different lines working seamlessly.
    But I use the sets for business and dont want to faff about with a pots
    phone. ATA power supply etc. I want 1 phone and 1 lead. and then 1 lead from
    that phone to my laptop.

    Ian

    Ian, Sep 30, 2005
  16. Brian Abbott

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ok, why..?! I don't think I've ever had to..! What's wrong with a phone
    number..? ;-)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 30, 2005
  17. Brian Abbott

    Brian Abbott Guest

    OK thanks

    Brian Abbott, Sep 30, 2005
  18. wan't the sip concept based on having an address like
    that you could be dialled on, with the DNS systems & a SIP server
    resolving it to the IP you are on.

    The current landscape is populated with service providers offerring
    number based systems but the above doesn't need an SP just a SIP
    server (like my IX66 router)

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Sep 30, 2005
  19. Brian Abbott

    Sean Guest

    I work on the FWD welcome line, and call people back on different
    providors :)

    Sean, Sep 30, 2005
  20. Brian Abbott

    Ian Guest

    Why, well i dont ant an acount with every vosp its far easier to just dial
    the sip address. And as you never doing it,Every call you make is done like
    that. Its just that your sevice provider does the conversion for you.
    for example to call a sipgate user 1234567 i just dial
    sip:
    have a look at an ethereal trace of a sip call.

    Ian

    Ian, Sep 30, 2005