[SIP] Connections in a nutshell?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Vincent Delporte, Aug 4, 2006.

  1. Hello

    I'm currently setting up Axon PBX on a W2003 server, but would
    like to know how SIP/RTP works as far as ports are concerned.

    When setting up Axon, it requires opening the following UDP
    ports/range:
    8000-8020 (for ten extensions)

    I seem to understand that SIP clients that need to register (either
    local phones, or road warrior with a hard/softphone) do this by
    connecting to UDP 5060.

    OTOH, I don't know what 5070 is for, and how things work for RTP with
    8000-8020: If RTP connections are peer-to-peer, ie. phone to phone,
    why does the PBX need to open up ports?

    Can someone tell me how the whole thing works? Some diagram of who
    calls what how?

    Thank you.

    Vincent Delporte, Aug 4, 2006

  2. My guess is that they actually want you to open 5060 THROUGH 5070. I'm not
    familiar with the other block.

    Jonathan Roberts, Aug 5, 2006

  3. No, they seem to require UDP 5060 and 5070 for SIP, and ports starting
    from UDP 8000 for RTP connections (by default, 8000-8020 for ten
    extensions.)

    But regarless of the number of ports, I'm in the dark when it comes to
    the client-server registration, followed by how clients talk to each
    other, who calls who, etc.

    Vincent Delporte, Aug 5, 2006
  4. I found this relating to Axon specifically
    http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=737. Also, you might want
    to poke around http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/ for general info.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, Aug 5, 2006
  5. Will do. I had already read that article on the Axon forum, but it
    doesn't explain how the ports are used (eg. how are the RTP ports used
    : at random? etc.). I'll go see if I can find more on the second site.
    Thank you.

    Vincent Delporte, Aug 5, 2006