    but works perfecly in his office on a Zen ADSL connection...

    Thanks,

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 22, 2007

  2. Gordon Henderson

    Roger Guest

    yes - Ive just switched to BT from NTL - the only issue I had was voip.co.uk
    stopped working with STUN enabled and I cant conference calls for some
    reason, otherwise it works ok.

    Roger, Aug 22, 2007

  3. Gordon Henderson

    Paul Hayes Guest

    I'd be interested to know as well.

    It's possible that the homehub router is assuming that any incoming SIP
    traffic would be intended for the built-in VoIP client and it's sending
    back "not found" responses, I've seen a newer Draytek router do this and
    the only way to get VoIP working was to completely disable the router's
    internal VoIP stuff. Or like you say, SIP is being blocked altogether!
    As an experiment, would you be willing to re-configure his phone to
    try to register to one of my Asterisk PBXs? Then I can get a SIP trace
    from it and might be able to at least determine what's going on.
    Contact me off list using the email below. Or I guess you might already
    be able to get a SIP trace yourself from whatever SIP server the phone
    is using. If so, would I be able to see it?

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul Hayes, Aug 22, 2007
  4. Well the phone is using one of my own Asterisk servers, and I did manage
    to get a trace - briefly and it was full of "stale nonce" messages,
    so SIP requests were getting out from the phone to the server, but it
    seemed that nothing was getting back to the phone. Time wasn't on our
    side yesterday as he just brough the phone home to show his partner what
    his new office phone system can do (but failled miserably).

    But since it works in his office which is where it's supposed to work,
    I'm not overly concerend right now, but it might be a warning sign for
    the future if customers are behind a BT HomeHub system...

    And I have older Draytek 2600VG's which seem to pass SIP traffic through
    OK, even with the VoIP ports in-use... Why do people break stuff!!!

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 22, 2007
  5. Hm. I wonder if they're like the Juniper netscreens where you need to
    turn the SIP ALG off because it's broken - but maybe it's actually
    working here - the phone did have stun enabled...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 22, 2007
  6. Gordon Henderson

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Yep, sounds very much like what was happening with a customer of mine
    with a newer (2900 if I remember correctly) Draytek router. The phone
    behind it was sending SIP out OK, but then any SIP going back towards
    the ip phone, the router would just stupidly assume that the message was
    for it and reply with things like "Not Found Here" in the SIP trace.
    This happened until I completely disabled the VoIP ports on the router
    (now I can't remember if I had to telnet to it or not).

    I realised what was going on when I noticed what was in the "User Agent"
    header in SIP replies coming back to the server.

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul Hayes, Aug 22, 2007
  7. Gordon Henderson

    Tim Guest

    You shouldn't use Stun with voip.co.uk.

    Tim

    Tim, Aug 22, 2007
  8. Gordon Henderson

    Roger Guest

    I know but its worked fine for 2 years with a linksys router and I needed it
    as the second line was with another provider.

    Roger, Aug 22, 2007
  9. Recently, Gordon Henderson popped out over the fence
    around uk.telecom.voip and said...
    |Is anyone using a SIP phone behind a BT HomeHub (I think that's what
    |it is) It appears to not work, so I'm either fearing the worst, that
    |BT are deliberately blocking SIP or that the device comes supplied as
    |default with some sort of firewall which blocks data and has to be turned
    |off ... Any clues?
    |
    |I've not been able to see for myself though - just sent a pre-configured
    |phone to a friend who has one of these and it's not happy at home,
    |but works perfecly in his office on a Zen ADSL connection...
    |
    |Thanks,
    |
    |Gordon

    Well, if I'm not wrong, in the BT HomeHub admin GUI you can set up
    umpteen SIP accounts... Hmmm, nope, that was for the old firmware
    versions. However, you could be a lucky owner of an old version. Follow
    the manual to get access to the Admin web interface (username/ password
    are .... admin / admin )

    <http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/homehub.html> says a lot, but not that,
    let me google a bit more...

    There you go,
    http://www.homehubhacks.co.uk/index.php?n=HowTo.SIPUsingSIPGATE

    Happy now?

    ßødincµs²°°°, Aug 28, 2007
  10. This was some time back, but I think I replaced it with a cheapo
    DLink. I've sent out a few DLink boxes recently for people who won't pay
    for a Draytek. They don't have traffic shaping as such - they claim QoS,
    but I've yet to find an ISP that would honour it through their network,
    but these are small businessy types. Still need to turn off the SIP ALG
    in the DLinks though.

    Just had a Zyxel blow-up on a client too. Back to Draytek for them. The
    2820 is looking OK these days. more and more I'm thinking of enabling
    all the routing, pppoe, traffic shaping functions, etc. in my DSX and
    just installing a dumb ADSL modem. Think of it as a Fritz box on steroids
    .... :)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Mar 6, 2009