SIP and Skype in one unit

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Yaz, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. Yaz

    Yaz Guest

    Yaz, Jul 20, 2006

  2. Yaz

    Ivor Jones Guest

    I can't see any reference to SIP on that page. It is a USB adaptor that
    provides a phone port for use with Skype, where does it mention SIP..?
    They specifically say that a Skype account is required.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 21, 2006

  3. Features/Specs says:
    - VoIP standards (SIP, H.323) and third party soft phone compliant

    Whatever "compliant" means in this context...

    tom wildzeiss, Jul 21, 2006
  4. Yaz

    paul hayes Guest

    It's just a USB adaptor which is aimed at being used with Skype but will
    work with other soft phone clients. It just allows you to use an
    analogue phone as a USB handset.

    Cheers,
    Paul.

    paul hayes, Jul 21, 2006
  5. Yaz

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Are you sure..? The site specifically says Skype account required:

    a.. Product Requirements:
    a.. Pentium 400 MHz processor or higher
    a.. Windows 2000/XP
    a.. 128 MB RAM
    a.. 10 MB free hard disk space
    a.. CD-ROM drive
    a.. Available USB port
    a.. Internet connection
    a.. Skype Software (see link)

    Note the last item.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 21, 2006
  6. Yaz

    paul hayes Guest

    well no, I'm not sure. Just going off the very vague description it
    gives. It makes it sound like they think it should also be compatible
    with some SIP soft-phones as well as Skype. Certainly sounds like it's
    aimed more at Skype anyway. I'm not going to worry about it as I'd hate
    to have a phone that requires me to have a PC with a gui running all day.

    Cheers,
    Paul.

    paul hayes, Jul 21, 2006
  7. Yaz

    news Guest

    news, Jul 21, 2006
  8. Yaz

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Well actually I think you can run it on some PDA's, but it's not what I
    want from a system, i.e. a phone port that I can plug into my existing
    PABX to make the number available to all extensions on the system.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 21, 2006
  9. Yaz

    Brian Guest

    A search on Ebay with 'skype gateway' should turn up an item labelled
    TBP-8. It looks like perfection could be realised for a mere 28 GPB.

    Brian.

    Brian, Jul 22, 2006