    How can I combine these to DVDs on my laptop and then write them out
    into one dual layer DVD?

    THanks

    J Huntley Palmer, Mar 7, 2006

  2. J Huntley Palmer

    erik Guest

    Reauthoring with DVD authoring SW is necessary, it's not just a matter
    of simple putting the files together. Also, you may have problems
    reading the dual layer DVD on some top set players. Last time I
    checked, compatibility was ~50%, which basically means that either it
    plays or not :) I'd go with 2 single layer discs, compatibility is
    much better there.

    erik, Mar 14, 2006

  3. J Huntley Palmer

    Mark Burns Guest

    I agree with both Barry and Erik. DVD-5 is much more compatible than
    DVD-9. This is why your studio puts out single layer and not dual
    layer. They don't want unhappy returns.

    My software recommendations to re-edit the disks onto single or dual
    layer would be:

    1) DvdShrink (free) for copying the DVD's to individual Hard Drive
    folders.

    2) Womble Video Wizard ($100) for editing the .vob files into .mpg
    files, adding your own transitions, your own captions, trimming bits,
    moving scenes, etc...

    3) TmpgEnc Dvd Author ($50) to reauthor the .mpg files into a new DVD
    Video_TS folder with your own menus. (NOT the PRO version, the original
    one that many of us love)

    4) DvdShrink if necessary to reduce the size of the .mpg to a single
    layer disk and create the .iso file. TDA to create the .iso image.

    5) ImgBurn (free) by Lightning!UK to burn the new DVD. IMB supports
    dual layer.

    www.mrbass.org (DvdShrink and ImgBurn, also some good tips)
    www.womble.com
    http://www.tmpg-inc.com/product/tsda.html

    A good digital editor for menus and buttons if you are inclined. I use
    Paintshop Pro (I saw it advertised locally for $30 a couple of weeks
    ago). Ken Maltby uses the freeware Gimp2.

    All of the above are about as easy to use as it gets in doing this,
    imho.

    Cheers...

    Mark Burns, Mar 14, 2006
  4. J Huntley Palmer

    Tim V. Guest

    6) DVD Lab to demux VOB to MPG2. Use your favorite MPG2 editor
    to create a DVD9 compliant output.

    --
    Tim.

    "Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
    neither
    liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

    "Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own
    reputation. It is better to be alone than in bad company" - George
    Washington

    Tim V., Mar 16, 2006