Single file corrupted on CF card; Has this ever happened to you ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Al Dykes, Dec 31, 2004.

  1. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    I won't name the camera model.

    I have a major-brand GB CF flash card that I've used to take a few
    thousand shots. I ALWAYS format the card in the camera after it's been
    in the PC.

    Yesterday I shot some forgettable sunset shots, as an experiment. I
    stepped thru them right in the CF card with Irfanview. It hand up on
    _one_ of the images and an "unrecognizable file format" message pops
    up, on this file.

    I copied all the files to my hard drive, with no problems. Stepping
    thru them with irfanview gives the same error on the same file, so it
    seems to be restricted to the structure of the RAW file.

    In the computer I did a CHKDSK /F and it found no errors.

    Has anything like this happened to anyone else ?

    Al Dykes, Dec 31, 2004

  2. Al Dykes

    chidalgo Guest

    Did you tried another tool to open the file?

    Did you (by accident) poweroff the camera while writing data on the
    card? Or maybe the power went off (dry battery?)?

    Not the best tool to analize memory cards. If i found the tool that i
    used once, i will post in here.

    chidalgo, Dec 31, 2004

  3. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    Nope. It was one short shooting session and I never powered the camera
    off. The battry charge is fine.

    Good call, but not an answer.

    Al Dykes, Dec 31, 2004
  4. Al Dykes

    chidalgo Guest

    The camera's firmware is up-to-date?

    It could be bad memory; problems in RAM happens. But to me sounds unlikely.

    chidalgo, Dec 31, 2004
  5. Al Dykes

    tomcas Guest

    Could it be a movie file that you don't have a codec for? Or possibly a
    file used by the unnamed model camera?

    tomcas, Dec 31, 2004
  6. Al Dykes

    ZONED! Guest

    Perhaps a bad sector on the card? Try formatting and see if any errors
    pop up. If you have a reader I think you may have more options as far
    as determining bad sectors. May I ask why you avoid naming the camera?

    ZONED!, Dec 31, 2004
  7. Al Dykes

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Formatting in the camera isn't going to check the card. For that you would
    need to do some sort of surface scan.
    How do you suppose recovery software can recover from a formatted card if
    the data portion had been overwitten?.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 31, 2004
  8. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    To asnwer several posts;

    I did a full format (FAT32) in a PC a couple times. No errors
    reported.

    This CF card has only been used in this camera, or the PC,.

    It was formatted in the camera immediatly before I took the pictures,

    This is not a file system problem, it's a file with a type of JPG that isn't
    really a correct JPG.

    Still a mystery.

    Al Dykes, Dec 31, 2004
  9. Al Dykes

    ZONED! Guest

    Gremlins!

    ZONED!, Jan 1, 2005
  10. Al Dykes

    Bob Krecak Guest

    Hi,
    Yes it happened on my daughter's camera just last week. We determined it was
    a bad memory card. Could not duplicate the problem with any other memory
    card in the same camera. Because the card is guaranteed we sent it back for
    a replacement. Hope this helps,

    Bob

    Bob Krecak, Jan 1, 2005
  11. Al Dykes

    Confused Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 02:41:41 GMT
    In message <>
    I haven't had a single corrupt file until I
    got a 20D (which locks up once every 200-500
    shots for no apparent reason). The single
    corrupt file was a fluke, and probably due
    to the problem in the camera.

    FWIW... I am becoming convinced that the lock
    is caused by the dIgIc iI as implemented in the
    20D does not use dual processors like the 1D(s).

    (I had a 100% knack for sensing these things when
    I was programming assembler full time. CANON:
    Look for a subtle deadlock in the areas where
    the 20D is doing in software what the 1D(s)
    is doing with multiple processors.)

    Jeff

    Confused, Jan 2, 2005
  12. I wouldn't expect it to be the camera.
    I had a card hang up on the very first file, a video I shot on my CoolPix
    990, followed by a few dozen mixed still and video files. The card would
    not let my computer download any of the images because the first one was
    unreadable. I tried both macs and pcs, no go. I used PhotoRescue to get the
    other images off the card, but I don't remember whether it could recover
    the messed up file.

    Since I had no clue what the trouble was, I tossed the card (no warranty),
    figuring that was cheaper than having it happen again and not be able to
    recover any files.

    Phil Stripling, Jan 2, 2005