Since when did $29.99 become standard msrp?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Oct 21, 2005.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    I know no one ever buys DVDs for msrp, but damn, when did it become
    $29.99? I remember when most msrps were about $19.99 and a couple
    (ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING for eg) were $29.99 and discounted at Best
    Buy to $24.99 and it just sorta boggled my mind as $20 was the sort of
    magic price point for me.

    Now, it seems that everytime i check out a new release, the msrp is
    $29.99 and the ticketed price is $19.99. Is this just a case of
    "Marking up and Discounting"?

    I was planning on getting MAD HOT BALLROOM and figured it should be
    $19.99 and discounted first week to $16.99 or better (my threshhold for
    purchase has dropped lately). Nope. $29.99 and down to $19.99 -
    $24.99 depending on where I shop.

    I guess I'll just rent it and I'll be better off, really b/c likely i
    wasn't going to watch it more than a couple of times... EVER, but
    still...

    ah wlel..

    -goro-

    Goro, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Goro

    Tarkus Guest

    Someone is keeping Suncoast Video in business.

    Tarkus, Oct 21, 2005

  3. Goro

    RobMac Guest

    Since 2-disc Special Collector Unrated Director's Cut Boxsets became the
    norm.
    At first, all DVD's "Special Features" were alternate languages and
    subtitles, now most DVDs have more than one disc with documentaries,
    featurettes, and other goodies - these cost more to make, but with stores
    competing against each other (except Suncoast) you can usually get them much
    cheaper anyway, so it's a moot point.

    RobMac, Oct 21, 2005
  4. Goro

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    I bought two copies of Firefly (pre-order) from them for only 19.99 each.

    dick
    -- ok so it was a mistake on their part but it was below list.

    Dick Sidbury, Oct 22, 2005
  5. Goro

    Tarkus Guest

    You know, shoplifting is a crime.
    --
    "I don't think anything bad ought to happen to children.
    I think the bad stuff should be saved up for the people

    Now playing: the radio.

    Tarkus, Oct 22, 2005
  6. Goro

    Jordan Guest

    Around the same time that companies stopped packing in chapter lists
    and liner notes. I'm pretty sure it was around the same time that DVD
    profitability supposedly dropped. Coincidence?

    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6964.cfm

    "Hollywood is seeing DVD sales slow down and since major movie studios
    make the majority of profits from home video sales, they are very eager
    to start releasing high definition movies. A format war however will
    most likely set back demand for high definition material by a few
    years."

    http://www.screendigest.com/reports...epress_dvd_profits/2004-12-01_f7_1n/view.html

    Average European DVD prices fell by 30 per cent between 1998 and 2003 |
    Prices have fallen a further 13 per cent in 2004 to an average of
    €15.90 | Screen Digest is currently forecasting consumer spending of
    €12.0bn in 2008 | But if prices continue to fall, increases in volume
    sales will not compensate: total spending will be lower

    Jordan, Oct 22, 2005