    80-100ms latency between the links, either serial or ethernet.
    Are there any tools to do this?

    Tx

    R Siffredi, Sep 8, 2005

  2. R Siffredi

    dt1649651 Guest

    Lowering the speed of the serial lines can significantly increase the
    delay.

    DT

    dt1649651, Sep 8, 2005

  3. There's a Tool you can download from CCO called NistNet which will allow you
    to intrduce latency, packet loss ect...

    Mike' Newsgroups, Sep 8, 2005
  4. R Siffredi

    stephen Guest

    There are a bunch of software tools you can run of a PC etc to sinthesize a
    delay, but you then would need serial interfaces card or to use ethernet

    you can find these by searching google.

    i prefer dedicated hardware to do this since that way it doesnt vanish from
    the lab when i dont use it for a while :)
    i have used a hardware box designed to simulate anything up to satellite
    delays (much cheaper than a satellite link!) - 1st came across this when we
    were debugging a satellite link.

    i like this one as you can just alter the delay and error rate on the front
    panel
    http://www.vocality.com/english/vocality_hardware/Sim2/simulator-2.asp?sm=sim2

    stephen, Sep 9, 2005
  5. R Siffredi

    R Siffredi Guest

    Cool! How much is the vocality?

    R Siffredi, Sep 10, 2005
  6. R Siffredi

    stephen Guest

    a few 1000 UK pounds - YMMV - i havent spent money on them for a while.

    E1 (G.703) interfaces cost extra.

    stephen, Sep 10, 2005
  7. R Siffredi

    jeffboyer5 Guest

    I just installed NISTNet on a PC with 2 nics and Fedora 4 and it works
    pretty well. I had to simulate a 140ms delay for a connection from
    Wisconsin to Czech Republic for app testing. Here is what I did:

    TestPC-2611Router-DTE/DCESerialCable-2621Router-NISTNet-CoreNetwork

    The serial connection allows me to adjust clock rate to adjust
    serialization delay. This is important because here is how my results
    varied:

    Real Circuit:
    32 byte ping 140ms
    1400 byte ping 156ms