    Otherwise, what is the best and simplest, PDF writer? I have been trying
    CutePDF and PDF Creator with very little success.

    TIA

    Loony, Feb 3, 2012

  2. Whether or not you can fill in a form is not a function of the reader, it's
    a function of the way the form was created in the first place. Most forms
    require you to print the form locally, then fill it in and fax it back, or
    mail it. Of course, you can always scan it, and e-mail it back...

    PDF writers now accomodate the completion of the form online and the data is
    sent to the Webmaster for processing. This is not a function of the PDF
    reader you are using, it is a function of the webmaster's ability to
    actually create a form with Form Fields that collect the data that you
    enter. The program that you need to generate your own PDF forms is not
    usually found in the free applications arena. It is a part of the
    full-featured PDF generation applications.

    Jeff Strickland, Feb 3, 2012

  3. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Thanks Jeff.

    Could you explain how it was that I was able to complete form about a
    week ago with Adobe Reader and now I can't even dot an i.

    Loony, Feb 4, 2012
  4. Same form?

    If you could complete Form A a week ago, but cannot complete it now, then
    no, I have no explanation. If you completed Form A a week ago but cannot
    complete Form B today, then the difference is the way the form was made.
    Form A and Form B were made differently, and as a result you cannot complete
    one of them.

    Adobe Reader is not the problem. The caveat is that Adobe Reader has a Text
    Tool that must be selected before you can enter any text, but you cannot
    save the result. You ought to be ab le to print the result, but I'm pretty
    sure you cannot save it. Even if you select the Text Tool, the form
    generation can be set so that you cannot select text or enter your own text.
    The developer of such a form intends on you printing the form locally and
    then filling it in with a pen or pencil.

    Jeff Strickland, Feb 5, 2012
  5. Loony

    Paul Guest

    While the document in question is open in Adobe Acrobat, try
    File:Document Properties and then the Security tab. It'll tell
    you a few things about is allowed and is not allowed, with a
    particular form.

    And just because you see "Filling of Forms: Allowed" doesn't
    mean the thing is a form. It might be a quite ordinary read-only
    document, with absolutely no form content at all. Those are
    security settings - they don't actually tell you the
    "type" of document, and what technologies are inside.
    The Security settings just tell you whether the feature
    is "permitted" or not.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 5, 2012
  6. Loony

    Loony Guest

    My thanks to all for your suggestions. I got so fed up of Adobe, I
    dumped it completely.

    I did much better when I got a recent PDF version called PDFXVwer.
    However, the characters typed were a pale grey color, same as the older
    version.

    I used Photofiltre and was able to fill out the forms.

    Loony, Feb 10, 2012
  7. Loony

    Loony Guest

    This is an embarrassment :-(

    I have seen an answer somewhere else about this and the suggestion was
    that brightness/contrast would darken the text. I tried that and found
    that the brightness/contrast changed the background only.

    Loony, Feb 19, 2012