Simple, write to the FTC on google (if you found google's privacy violations disturbing)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by woo, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. woo

    woo Guest

    (Product Name: Google Groups Beta) The reason I am writing is
    because of very unfair business practices by Google Inc. The
    main problem is privacy and copyright. Google offers limited
    privacy solutions, but that is not acceptable. In California
    law requires websites to remove private information upon
    request, Google does not correspond. In a sense its like
    "Google on people", overriding the privacy rights of the masses
    for Google's money. I know millions are unsatisfied ever since
    usenet was archived by a corporation (DejaNews, 1995). Google
    purchased DejaNews in 2001, and remained the primary abuser
    of privacy online and carrying harsh corporate policies sticking to
    the "post-mainstream" totalitarian abuse of the unaware masses
    worldwide.

    Also Google scanned 15 million books from libraries
    without checking for copyright, forcing people and book
    companies worldwide to contact Google for resolving book
    copyright disputes. Google claims its a good soliciting for
    the writers but its stealing. There needs to more people
    complaining, please, do something. Google's carelessness is
    too extreme.

    If you remember 1995 and all the people complaining
    about privacy when DejaNews began archiving usenet,
    you will probably agree. Please send your complaint to
    www.ftc.gov, takes two minutes.

    woo, Dec 5, 2005

  2. woo

    woo Guest

    (Product Name: Google Groups Beta) The reason I am writing is
    In these days of patriotism and madness which keeps these
    issues from listened to, we can do something normal for a change.

    woo, Dec 5, 2005

  3. woo

    Tony Guest

    Google are not producing any additional information that cannot be obtained,
    without paying, from a library.
    By reproducing extracts from the books Google are likely to stimulate
    sufficient interest for the book to be purchased.

    Are you saying that all libraries should be closed because they allow free
    access to books?

    Woo constantly posts off topic articles in newsgroups.
    Woo cross posts to more than three newsgroups which is unacceptable
    Woo steals bandwidth
    Woo is nothing more than a spammer
    Woo is a hypocrite by breaking the same standards he complains about

    Tony, Dec 5, 2005
  4. Writing in
    From the safety of the cafeteria
    Tony <> said:

    [follow-ups suggested]
    all you say is true (and I doubt anyone disagrees with your sentiment) -
    however, please strip AWW (alt.www.webmaster) from your replies. we've
    read it all before and most of us have the twat safely filtered. tnx.

    William Tasso, Dec 5, 2005
  5. woo

    Tony Guest

    Sorry, I was going to snip before I posted but forgot. Apologies.

    Tony, Dec 5, 2005
  6. woo

    woo Guest

    (Product Name: Google Groups Beta) The reason I am writing is
    Go psycho!

    woo, Dec 5, 2005
  7. woo

    woo Guest

    Writing in
    Common William,
    your brain works.

    woo, Dec 5, 2005
  8. woo

    woo Guest

    Writing in
    this about usenet. man. one day.

    woo, Dec 5, 2005
  9. woo

    woo Guest

    (Product Name: Google Groups Beta) The reason I am writing...
    Very stupid.

    woo, Dec 6, 2005
  10. woo

    woo Guest

    (Product Name: Google Groups Beta) The reason I am writing is
    The meaning of simple is very hard.

    Why worry about psychoing others explicitely, write to the FTC on Google, and its
    not even something weird in the careless decade following the 90's of sharing.

    Product Name: Google Groups Beta and Google's Library Project

    woo, Dec 6, 2005
  11. woo

    Mitch Guest

    Sorry, but that's none of our business.
    The people that own the rights to any book are not subject to what
    random individuals think MIGHT be a good idea, or MIGHT promote it, or
    MIGHT make it look good.
    A library pays for the books (or had paid books donated). In other
    words, a controlled amount of people get to see it and someone was
    compensated.

    I am very strongly in favor of Web sites publishing or giving access to
    works in the public domain.
    I don't see how anyone can sensibly allow commercial works or
    privately-owned works to be made public. That's just nonsense.

    Mitch, Dec 6, 2005
  12. woo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Mitch spewed forth:
    Concur. Public domain works made public makes good sense. But I wonder what
    would make online 'lending libraries' work? After all, someone has to cover
    the cost of the archive space, web traffic, etc. Why would someone pay an
    online use fee for something they can check out from their local library? So
    the online providers must have some commercial backing or foundation/grants
    to generate income.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 6, 2005
  13. woo

    Mitch Guest

    Well, groups that need those kinds of files (like a university) very
    strongly benefit from having a library full of searchable text.
    But libraries already have complex indexing systems for much of that
    (even though most libraries aren't up to speed with much of it).

    The best part of that problem is that none of the works change. It's
    just archiving, so it doesn't require any support money after it's
    done.

    Again, though, that only works for the groups with one of the most
    valid reasons to want digital texts.

    It seems to me the problem is providing the works whole; if you could
    only search the text from a Web site (effectively removing the whole of
    the material from public viewing), then maybe a good practical function
    could be achieved without exposing the work for free.

    Mitch, Dec 6, 2005
  14. In Mitch spewed forth:
    That's true - and with the ability to significantly compress text files, it
    isn't even that large of a storage/bandwidth problem. It's all this stuff in

    Quirk E. Dude, Dec 6, 2005
  15. woo

    Trax Guest

    |>In article <7v7lf.1586$>, Toolman Tim
    |>
    |>> Concur. Public domain works made public makes good sense. But I wonder what
    |>> would make online 'lending libraries' work? After all, someone has to cover
    |>> the cost of the archive space, web traffic, etc. Why would someone pay an
    |>> online use fee for something they can check out from their local library? So
    |>> the online providers must have some commercial backing or foundation/grants
    |>> to generate income.
    |>
    |>Well, groups that need those kinds of files (like a university) very
    |>strongly benefit from having a library full of searchable text.
    |>But libraries already have complex indexing systems for much of that
    |>(even though most libraries aren't up to speed with much of it).

    |>The best part of that problem is that none of the works change. It's
    |>just archiving, so it doesn't require any support money after it's
    |>done.

    <VBG> It's suppose to take 300 years to archive the info
    http://tinyurl.com/e2zvk

    Trax, Dec 6, 2005
  16. woo

    tadchem Guest

    IOW, you are only opposed to the concept of *public* libraries, i.e.
    libraries that permit public access to copyrighted works without charge, as
    defined here:
    http://www.onelook.com/?w=public+library&ls=a
    http://www.bartleby.com/61/46/P0644600.html
    http://www.infoplease.com/dictionary/public+library
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=public+library&r=66
    and elsewhere.

    Is that right?

    The success and preservation of a fascist bureaucracy depends on the control
    of public access to ideas; ideas that could possibly be dangerous *must* be
    kept out of the reach of those with no vested interest in maintaining
    secrecy.

    The final destruction of the Library at Alexandria was occasioned by the
    persecution of the pagans by the Christian church in the late 4th century
    under Emperor Theodosius and Patriarch Theophilus of Alexandria:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_alexandria
    as Paulus Orosius admitted in his History against the pagans.

    In opposing the existence of public libraries you have chosen some
    'interesting' companions.

    Tom Davidson
    Richmond, VA

    tadchem, Dec 6, 2005
  17. woo

    Mitch Guest

    No; in a library, every copy has been paid for. And since these are
    physical copies, there is a limit to how much they can circulate.
    Those are both fair compromises to having material totally free and yet
    compensating the authors and creators.
    Then you're fighting the wrong end of the problem; you should be
    fighting for mandatory circulation of all manuscripts. You can't fight
    for free access to ideas when you're limited to just what six
    publishing companies think you can have.
    Wow -- I certainly never claimed to oppose libraries -- that should
    have been obvious.

    You are making a very odd equivocation -- that a public library is the
    same thing as a Web site distributing whole commercial texts. Those are
    obviously different, and I don't see where your examples affect it.

    Mitch, Dec 6, 2005
  18. woo

    Mitch Guest

    A strange press release.
    My point is, after that is all archived, it's done. You won't have to
    continue checking the texts for updates or changes.

    As far as archiving problems, I sympathize more with the astronomers --
    there are several groups trying to go through historical prints to
    generate historical studies of the moon, planetary observations, etc.
    Some of the stuff that has ben used is fragile; all have very delicate
    surfaces, and it sounds like most have been badly stored.

    Mitch, Dec 6, 2005
  19. woo

    Ray Gordon Guest

    If you remember 1995 and all the people complaining
    By playing songs on the radio, the radio stations create interest in the
    albums. Why don't they pay royalties then?

    Also, if you allow Google to do it, what's to stop 1,000 others from the
    doing the same thing?

    I do not allow libraries to keep copies of my work. My books are
    nontransferable.

    <snip>

    You sound rather obsessed with Woo.

    Ray Gordon, Dec 6, 2005
  20. woo

    PD Guest

    Uh, they do. Every time they play a song.

    PD, Dec 6, 2005