Simple region code question... simple answer??

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by joseph.greer, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. joseph.greer

    joseph.greer Guest

    I recently moved back to the US after 6 years in the UK and with me, I
    brought my DVDs back with me.

    My dvd player, however, is not multi-region (Sony DVP-NS325). Internet
    searches for unlock procedures have been fruitless. So here's what I'd
    like to do:

    I want to burn copies of my Region 2 DVDs onto blank DVDs, but I want
    them re-coded for Region 1.

    Note: I do NOT need ANY suggestions for programs that allow me to play
    these dvds on my computer. I want to play them on my DVD player.

    If anyone knows of a program I can buy that will achieve this for me,
    I'd be very thankful. I'd hate to drop +$50 on a package and find out
    it didn't solve my region code problem, thus leaving me with multiple
    copies of movies I can't watch on my DVD player.

    Thanks

    joseph.greer, Dec 22, 2006

  2. AnyDVD.

    Anthony Marsh, Dec 22, 2006

  3. joseph.greer

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    I think your easiest solution is to merely get a multi-region player,
    or at least one easily hackable to be so. Then you won't have to
    bother with the hassle of burning all the discs over again. Should be
    able to find many of these in the $50 range.

    If you can still find one, grab a Philips 642 DVD player. (Maybe
    there's a newer equivalent.) You can find the easy-step process to
    make it handle R2 discs in a few easy pushes of the buttons on the
    remote.

    SoHillsGuy, Dec 23, 2006
  4. joseph.greer

    jayembee Guest

    There is, but I can never remember the model number. Near as I can
    tell, the most notable improvement is that it can play DivX files
    with the ",divx" extension. I figure it's cheaper to just rename
    such files to ".avi". :)
    And you can find that process at http://www.videohelp.com.

    However, I'm unclear on exactly what the problem is. Is the O.P.'s
    player one that he picked up here after moving back, or brought
    back with him from the UK? If the former, OK. If the latter, he
    wouldn't be able to play any converted DVDs anyway. And it wouldn't
    be able to display them on an NTSC TV anyway (unless it has a
    built-in converter).

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Dec 23, 2006
  5. joseph.greer

    Mike S. Guest

    DVP-5960. Can be made region-free with a remote hack as well.

    Mike S., Dec 23, 2006
  6. joseph.greer

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    You do not need to re-encode to region 1, just make them region free.
    DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter are probably the best two programs to do
    this. Google for download sites, both programs are free.

    Ignore the advice re NTSC/PAL differences. Most DVD players (including
    your Sony) should cope fine.

    Oldus Fartus, Dec 23, 2006
  7. joseph.greer

    joseph.greer Guest

    you are right!!! This is the best answer and I've done this and am
    happy.

    Problem is that none of these snot-nosed, zit-pocked faced
    high-schoolers working at BestBuy even know what a multi-region dvd
    player is. Heck, they probably can't even pick out Italy on a map.

    But I did it and it cost me about $50!!! That's cheaper than the
    software and blank disks and all the time it would have taken me to
    learn the ins and outs, copy, make mistakes, re-copy, throw my pc out
    the window, buy another, and finally get it all sorted out and working.

    Thanks!

    joseph.greer, Jan 26, 2007
  8. Nobody in retail in the US will discuss multi-region DVD players. The fear
    is of the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) that has a clause
    about "circumventing a scheme used to restrict access to copyrighted
    material". Even though region coding is not a copy-protection scheme.

    It's interesting that region coding violates the WIPO international
    copyright treaty and has been officially nullified in Hong Kong and
    Australia. But the US has the finest lawmakers money can buy...

    Kimba W. Lion, Jan 26, 2007