Simple file sharing on Workgroup in XP

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by BigAl.NZ, Aug 12, 2008.

  1. BigAl.NZ

    BigAl.NZ Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I have a workgroup here with the following setup:

    About 5 computers
    On a Workgroup
    Each user has a PC, and one logon per machine, which is the first name
    of the person that uses that machine, ie Tom. There is no password
    reqd when logging on.
    The machines are running XP

    The problems started when one of the of the computers needed to be
    formatted. This was done, and the computer was given the same computer
    name and put on the same workgroup.

    Now the formatted computer, lets call it PC1 can see all the shares on
    the rest of the network, but nobody can see the shares on PC1 (I did
    recreate them - its mainly just the My Doc folder)

    So I manually added the shares on the other PC's from within My
    Network Places > Add Network Place. That worked.

    Now the only problem really seems to be that if I go to another PC,
    say PC2, and try to browse the workgroup (via View Workgroup
    Computers) I can see PC1, but when I click on it I get something to
    the effect of "Cannot view \\PC1 .....access denied"

    Now I checked that I have go File and Printer Sharing Installed, and
    the other thing the MS KB article said to do was to make sure netbios
    over TCP/IP was enabled and it is.

    I am wondering if its something to do with Local Security Policy or
    Shared Folder Setup in computer management???

    So to summarise, I can PING, and I can connect to SMB shares, but cant
    browse the formatted PC, PC1, in the list of computers in WORKGROUP.

    Please help,

    Cheers

    -Al

    BigAl.NZ, Aug 12, 2008

  2. BigAl.NZ

    BigAl.NZ Guest

    No security software, not even windows firewall.

    Will double check SFS.

    Cheers

    -Al

    BigAl.NZ, Aug 12, 2008

  3. BigAl.NZ

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Make sure that the "Computer Browser" service is started and running
    automatically in the background.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Aug 12, 2008
  4. BigAl.NZ