    set-up and use?

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

    Murray R. Van Luyn, Jul 11, 2005

  2. Murray R. Van Luyn

    Martin Guest

    I've found PGP to be quite easy for newcomers to use - assuming they are
    using Outlook or OE it integrates quite nicely, or grab a couple of free
    certificates for encrypting your email.

    If my ex. can handle it then most people can I think.

    Martin, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Hi Marty,

    I'm curious. Is there some way I can use boring old Outlook Express to
    encrypt e-mail with security certificates (?)? Oh look, there's a whole
    section in the help file. I wonder who I might see about digital IDs ? I'll
    have to have a look for a better description of how to go about all of this.

    Thanks very much for the tip Martin.

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

    Murray R. Van Luyn, Jul 11, 2005
  4. Murray R. Van Luyn

    speeder Guest

    Just an idea...

    Put your messages inside a Word document and save it with a password
    that you have agreed offline. Microsoft Word offers different
    passwords strengths for you to choose from.

    Perhaps someone can comment on how good that encryption is?

    speeder, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Murray R. Van Luyn

    Martin Guest

    errr, Martin
    yeah, I just used VNC (and installed the certs on their PCs) to make
    sure we could ship encrypted emails - I was going to Saudi for 3 months
    and really did not want my emails beeing looked at :)
    http://www.thawte.com/

    goto "products" and select "free email certificate"

    <assumption>
    If she's as bad as you think, then make sure you do the cert install for
    her :)
    </assumption>

    I had all my mates (and 'friends') using PGP as well, it's not that hard
    with MS s/w and even 10 years ago when you had to cut-n-paste it was ok
    for even blondes - if they were shown - do this, do that, copy, paste,
    send.

    Ha We fooled the Saudi's!

    Martin, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Hi Marty,

    Thanks for the link to Thawte. I'm sure they can help.

    No, not air-headed. Just very hard working, and from a very young age -
    hasn't had a lot of time for a lot of other things. I can understand what
    your saying, though. I've got this sis....

    See ya,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

    Murray R. Van Luyn, Jul 12, 2005
  7. Hi Speeder,

    Oh! I didn't know Word could do that. Thanks, that might be an easy answer.

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

    Murray R. Van Luyn, Jul 12, 2005
  8. Murray R. Van Luyn

    Unruh Guest

    Of course it is likely that the use of encryption in Saudi Arabia is
    illegal. Ie, had they wanted to get you, they would have had a ready made
    excuse.

    Unruh, Jul 12, 2005
  9. I've heard the encryption is worthless. Allegedly, opening it in
    OpenOffice.org is enough...

    If you want the illusion of security, look up ROT13. ;-)

    And please don't top-post.

    Joachim

    Joachim Schipper, Jul 12, 2005
  10. Hi Joachim,

    Thanks for the advice regarding Word document security.

    I learnt something new about posting too :)

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn

    Murray R. Van Luyn, Jul 13, 2005
  11. Murray R. Van Luyn

    Beachcomber Guest

    Beachcomber, Jul 13, 2005
  12. Murray R. Van Luyn

    A.Schneider Guest

    I use Thunderbird (email Client) and Enigmail (Plugin for Thunderbird).
    It's easy and works with gnupg (opensource)

    Andreas

    A.Schneider, Jul 14, 2005
  13. Thanks everyone for the links and advice.

    I had a go at e-mail security certificates, but that ended up as a bit of a
    train wreck very quickly. I think Blowfish seems to offer the right level of
    useability. Security really isn't that big a deal, but it seems to offer
    'enough'. It depends how you use it, I guess. The hard disk data wiping
    facilities might help with my occasional bouts of 'perfectly normal'
    paranoia, too.

    Gee, I'd love to know how you guy's manage to post anonymously. I could find
    a really sneaky use for that under the reasonably harmless 'action and
    adventure' category.

    Thanks again everyone.

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

    Murray R. Van Luyn, Jul 19, 2005
  14. Don't worry about my interest in e-mailing anonymously. It seems it's well
    documented on the web, and also that someone's already figured out what I
    was up to. Thanks anyway.

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

    Murray R. Van Luyn, Jul 20, 2005
  15. This, of course, was the point where Murray took a pseudonym, and followed
    others example too. Gee, I'm glad you're friendly. The $AUD50's not for you.
    You're worth a lot more.

    Regards,
    Murray R. Van Luyn.

    Murray R. Van Luyn, Jul 26, 2005