Silverfast SE 6.0 - Doesn't Install In Windows XP

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by denis, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. denis

    denis Guest

    I have been unable to install Silverfast SE 6.0 on my computer [ my
    scanner is an Epson Perfection 3200 Photo] and I suspect that Windows
    XP is the problem.It seems that every file - EXCEPT the EXE file is
    there.

    I tried it on my wife's PC which is running Windows 98 - and it
    installed!

    I have emailed Silverfast HELP who replied asking for further
    information - but have heard no more from them so far.

    I would be interested to know if anyone else has had this experience
    and if there is a solution.

    Denis Boisclair
    Cheshire, England

    PS I suspect that Windows XP is at the bottom of a 'flakey' experience
    I have had with other programmes.

    denis, Feb 15, 2005

  2. I have been successful in installing Silverfast on my XP. Have you tried
    'phoning Silverfast helpline in Germany? They were VERY helpful when
    suddenly my copy failed to recognise my scanner (Epson Expression 1640 XL)

    Their telephone number is (+49)-431-56009-0
    and their Email:

    Good luck

    Richard Kingslake

    Richard Kingslake, Feb 15, 2005

  3. denis

    Larry Guest

    I suspect that the program needs an UPDATE if it doesn't install in XP.

    If you have done the major updates from Microsoft, XP is pretty darn
    reliable.. (not perfect, just more reliable than any other version of
    Windows).

    Larry, Feb 15, 2005
  4. ------------

    You may indeed be right... Your Win XP OS may be set so that ONLY
    administrators (with administrator privileges) will allow installation of
    new software (or, if the software talks to XP during installation... perhaps
    only some software will behave this way.)

    You need to check the system to find out if you are, or can even log on as,
    an administrator for your system. Typically this will require a master
    (administrator) name and password - it will be separate and distinct from
    the normal "user" logon applied during start-up.

    Journalist

    Journalist-North, Feb 15, 2005
  5. denis

    Stewy Guest

    Another klunk for Epson. They seem to be very unreliable as far as
    updating software drivers - if a printer or scanner doesn't achieve a
    certain sales volume, they cut it loose and don't bother upgrading - and
    to hell with anybody who bought one.
    Had the same problem with my Epson scanner when I upgraded to Mac OSX.

    Stewy, Feb 18, 2005