    ie. if I go to the shop and I buy that brand I should get one of the best
    without going too deep into it.
    (A bit like Sony for a stereo)

    Pete, May 11, 2005

  2. Pete

    Pete D Guest

    Seriously Pete it depends how much you want to spend and what you are going
    to do with it. Do you want D-SLR or P&S? And the answer may be Hasselblad
    but you may not like the $50,000 price tag.

    Oh yes and there is a couple of brands that are better than Sony, mind you
    Sony do produce some reasonable stuff at reasonable prices.

    Pete D, May 11, 2005

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Yes I know Sony gets trumped by certain brands on some products but overall
    they are very good.
    I would say with my limited knowlege Canon,Pentax and Olympus are a safe
    bet.
    Thanks.

    Pete, May 11, 2005
  4. Pete

    Pete D Guest

    D-SLR, Pentax , Canon , Nikon , Minolta, are all great, personally I don't
    like the Oly's, sky's the limit on what you want to spend.

    Large format, forget it.

    P&S, basicly you get what you pay for, look for features that count, high
    pixel count (5MP is heaps for most), AA batteries are a good idea especially
    if it will run on alkalines at a pinch, compact flash, memory stick or SD
    memory cards are fine, XD cards have limited capacity and are generally more
    expensive.
    The one thing that many forget is that is that the camera that you decide
    to get must handle well in your hands, no good if someone else likes it but
    it does not suit you.

    Pete D, May 11, 2005
  5. Pete

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Sony stereos, "best overall in quality"??? Pete, you need to get out more!
    Sony is not what they used to be, and there are numerous stereos of much
    greater quality, and performance.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, May 11, 2005
  6. Not really, Most of the makes have good products. You need to figure
    out what kind of camera and features you have then compare those cameras
    that fit your needs.

    Joseph Meehan, May 11, 2005
  7. Pete

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I don't see how you can miss with medium to high price point Nikon,
    Canon, or Kodak. Cheaper, is usually just that, cheaper, regardless of
    manufacturer.

    Ron Hunter, May 11, 2005
  8. Pete

    Paul Furman Guest

    I'm afraid this is actually a silly question.

    : - (

    Well, good to ask anyways but the answer is that it's a silly question;
    brand can't be used to pick a camera these days. Even Panasonic (Radio
    Shack) makes some great cameras.

    Not meaning to pick on you, just to answer honestly.

    Paul Furman, May 11, 2005
  9. Pete

    ASAAR Guest

    What's the link between Panasonic and Radio Shack? In local RS
    stores I haven't noticed any cameras with RS logos, but they sell a
    lot of cameras manufactured by other companies. Samsung, Fuji, HP
    and at least a half dozen other companies.

    ASAAR, May 11, 2005
  10. Pete

    Pete D Guest

    Paul, I think it best you keep to your plants because it is obvious that you
    know nothing of electronic equipment, you may well take out silliest post
    for the year.

    Pete D, May 11, 2005
  11. Pete

    Hannah Guest

    You set low standards?
    H.

    Hannah, May 11, 2005
  12. Pete

    Tony Guest

    I think it is stupid to buy Sony for most stereo equipment but would buy a
    Sony television over other brands selling similar models for a third less.
    Start by deciding how much you want to spend on a camera, look at the
    styles and features and ask a better thought out question. Otherwise you
    might end up with something great that is completely inappropriate for you.
    Or you could simply buy the latest 7,000 dollar Nikon or Canon and, being
    unable to use it, simply brag about how you bought "the best".

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, May 11, 2005
  13. Pete

    Paul Furman Guest

    What? <straight faced>
    I guess I'm wrong about Panasonic's relationship with Radio Shack? You
    think they don't make (some) good cameras? The only case where chosing
    brand above all else is with DSLRs where you are buying into a lens system.

    Paul Furman, May 12, 2005
  14. Pete

    Sheldon Guest

    Well, cheaper could also mean less features that you don't need, especially
    when we're talking the same manufacturer.

    You have to decide what your needs are and get a camera that fits those
    needs. A Ferrari is a great car, but if you have a wife and three kids you
    are going to need a different or a second car to meet your needs. A DSLR
    will give you lots of options and settings but won't fit in your pocket. A
    Pentax Optio will fit in your pocket but doesn't have interchangeable
    lenses.

    My theory is to look for digital cameras with brand names that have been in
    the photography business for years, before digital. They know photography
    and what a good image is supposed to look like. Nikon, Canon, Olympus, etc.

    Sheldon, May 15, 2005
  15. : My theory is to look for digital cameras with brand names that have
    : been in the photography business for years, before digital. They know
    : photography and what a good image is supposed to look like. Nikon,
    : Canon, Olympus, etc.

    One other concideration (along these lines) is that many camera
    manufacturers use the same CCD chip design (from the same chip
    manufacturer). So the difference between the cameras is in the design of
    the camera and the software. So finding a camera that fits your needs and
    hands may have a bigger impact than brand name. But one last thing to
    concider is the lens. P&S camera manufacturers tend to make their own
    lenses. Those with a long history of making good lenses (Kodak, Pentax,
    Canon, Nikon, etc) will likely apply that experience to the new lenses.
    More off brand cameras may have less accurate lens manufacturing and thus
    the photos may have some aberations or soft focus areas that can be
    attributed to the lens. Any lens manufacturer can make a poor lens as a
    new on the market brand can make an exceptional lens, but more experience
    can make the odds of a good to excellent lens more likely.

    JMHO

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL