Silly question - automating *manual* anti-virus definitions update process

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    This may be a really silly question

    An elderly relative is running Norton Anti Virus 2002
    on Windows XP Pro ( a package deal from Dell )

    but, presumably, the general question would apply
    to other anti-virus products under recent Windows versions

    I've now found that she hasn't been updating definitions
    manually, and *refuses* to run Live Update
    ( not trusting "that sort of thing" )

    what would be the best way to automate the manual update ???

    it's easy - using Windows Scripting Host for example - to
    have an icon that will open a browser at the correct webpage

    but at that point, then there is the problem of getting the definitions
    file actually downloaded, and then executed, without giving the
    opportunity for comments like:
    "I forgot where it went"
    "I forgot what to do next"
    and so on

    Has anyone any suggestions ???
    ( other than *forcing* the use of LiveUpdate :D
    that's been tried and is simply refused )

    Guest, Aug 28, 2003

  2. Guest

    fkasner Guest

    The source (other than the liveupdate) is from the ftp.symantec.com ftp
    site. But you then have to navigate to the correct directory this
    requires several steps of change of directory (folder). Then you have to
    assign the proper name to the file to be downloaded. The file name
    changes with each posting of a new download. Example
    20030827-006-i32.exe If you don't get the proper name you don't get the
    download. If you use a program like cuteftp or WS_FTPPro you can use a
    click on choice method. But since the last list has a host of downloads
    possible you have to be able to recognize the correct one. A sentient
    human can do this. A computer program is not smart enough to make the
    proper choice. It will not even get through the layers of directories
    from which to choose.
    The person who refuses to use the liveupdate is assuming that its
    dangerous whereas not relying on it is more dangerous.
    FK

    fkasner, Aug 28, 2003

  3. Guest

    Fred Orton Guest

    To give you a polite answer, you are far better talking them into using the
    'live update' program. We use the corporate edition of norton, and have our
    server set to run the live update every night at midnight. The live update
    server is a secure server with checks & safeties to make sure that there are
    no bad or corrupted files, and since it is an automated process, it is very
    difficult to download the wrong file.

    Hope this helps,

    Fred.

    Fred Orton, Aug 29, 2003
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    thanks for the suggestions...

    I think I may have discovered the answer by accident

    the individual in question was bothered about
    LiveUpdate operating "behind her back"

    the answer:
    use the Windows Task Scheduler to set *explicit*
    times and dates for LiveUpdate to run

    when she saw that it would start at a specific time,
    and that she *could* stop it if she felt so,
    she was quite happy about letting it run

    social engineering ??

    Guest, Sep 1, 2003