    Bill

    To sleep- perchance to dream of puppies.

    -- WT Hanna ---

    Bill Hanna, May 13, 2006

  2. Bill Hanna

    Mara Guest

    That's a thermal pad. Some like them, some don't. I don't. I clean them off and
    put Arctic Silver thermal compound on my chips.

    If you decide to use the pad, don't put grease on. Either one or the other, but
    not both.

    Mara, May 13, 2006

  3. Bill Hanna

    Mr C Guest

    Bill Hanna wrote :
    Personally I never did like thermal pads but then I'm old skool. IMO
    you're better off using silicon grease (my personal preference is the
    Artic Silver range).

    Mr C.

    Mr C, May 13, 2006
  4. Bill Hanna

    Jerry Attic Guest

    I used the thermal pad and was satisfied with the results. It came on the
    heatsink provided with a retail Athlon64 and keeps it under 40 dgrees
    centigrade.

    Jerry Attic, May 14, 2006
  5. Bill Hanna

    Vanguard Guest

    It must be over a decade since you built a computer. The pad is a
    thermal pad used in place of thermal compound (the ooze in a tube that
    you call "grease"). Considering your lack of experience, the thermal
    pad is probably the best solution for you; otherwise, it is likely you
    will apply way too much thermal compound (which is no where near as
    conductive as metal). Some thermal compounds are electrically
    conductive, like Artic Silver, so gooping it on would make it ooze out
    and slop down onto other components which could cause a short. Also,
    even for non-electrically conductive thermal compounds, they are far
    from being as thermally conductive as metal. That is,
    metal-compound-metal contact is far less thermally efficient than
    metal-metal contact. You are only trying to fill the microscopic gaps
    in the metal surfaces (because thermal conductivity of air is far worse)
    or due to uneveness in the surfaces (unless you lap them flat into
    mirror finishes). You want as much metal-metal contact as possible and
    only use the compound in place of air (i.e., no contact). To get an
    idea of coverage, a tiny 3 gram tube is meant for 20 applications (i.e.,
    you can use it for building 20 hosts or for [re]installing the CPU that
    many times).

    Thermal pads change under compression (and are sometimes called
    phase-change pads), so only use them once (i.e., if you remove the CPU
    and reinstall it, use a new thermal pad). Thermal compounds also
    undergo a phase change after applied, under pressure, and heated, so
    clean off the old stuff and use new grease if you remove and reinstall
    the CPU. Grease will destroy the pad, so just use the pad. You only
    need to remove and clean off the pad and use thermal compound if you are
    overclocking and need to get that one to 5 degree cooler temperature.
    With the standard compounds, you might get a 1 to 2 degree cooler
    temperature. With the ceramic Artic compound, maybe 3 degrees. With
    the metallic compounds, like Artic Silver, maybe 4 or 5 degrees cooler.
    However, if you are so desparate for that 1 to 5 degree cooler
    temperature, you should also be lapping the surfaces for best contact
    (and be getting a much better heatsink, too).

    Vanguard, May 14, 2006
  6. Bill Hanna

    Bill Hanna Guest

    On Sun, 14 May 2006 10:52:12 -0500, While running hot, "Vanguard"

    thank you for ann extensiive reply. You are correct. I am a retired
    electronicws tech and it has been many years since I worked on anything

    Bill Hanna, May 14, 2006
  7. Bill Hanna

    Plato Guest

    Not really. Recent retail cpus come with what looks like the old
    fashioned thermal pad, but is really a grease, not a hard pad.

    Plato, May 15, 2006