    e.g. does it cause problems for the person at the other end, by causing
    the background noise to click in and out? Or does comfort noise get
    generated at both ends in a convincing manner?

    Martin, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Thus spaketh Martin:
    > Any reason why this came disabled by default on my SIP ATA and my SIP
    > handset?
    >
    > e.g. does it cause problems for the person at the other end, by
    > causing the background noise to click in and out? Or does comfort
    > noise get generated at both ends in a convincing manner?

    I have silence detection switched off, this therefore means the silence will
    be transmitted, so will use up bandwidth, with silence detection enabled, it
    may be uncomfortable for the other person hearing complete silence instead of
    some background noise when your aren't speaking, also with it enabled you may
    find it cuts the beginning of your speech off.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 3, 2006

  3. Martin

    Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 00:25:18 +0000, Martin <>
    wrote:

    >Any reason why this came disabled by default on my SIP ATA and my SIP
    >handset?

    Although it saves a bit of bandwidth, it seems to cause a lot of "are
    you still there?" issues, so unless bandwidth is really tight, I
    reckon it is best off.

    , Feb 3, 2006
  4. On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 01:21:36 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

    >Thus spaketh Martin:
    >> Any reason why this came disabled by default on my SIP ATA and my SIP
    >> handset?
    >>
    >> e.g. does it cause problems for the person at the other end, by
    >> causing the background noise to click in and out? Or does comfort
    >> noise get generated at both ends in a convincing manner?

    >I have silence detection switched off, this therefore means the silence will
    >be transmitted, so will use up bandwidth, with silence detection enabled, it
    >may be uncomfortable for the other person hearing complete silence instead of
    >some background noise when your aren't speaking, also with it enabled you may
    >find it cuts the beginning of your speech off.

    Isn't that what silence insertion descriptors are for? They generate
    comfort noise at much lower bandwidth than transmitting the actual
    low-level noise of the silence. Some codecs, at least, allow for this.

    Darren J Longhorn, Feb 4, 2006