    distinct individuals with unique abilities and talents...they're just
    pieces in a big machine.

    I will celebrate on the day they file for bankruptcy.

    Mr. Strat, Jan 9, 2008

  2. Sorry to hear of your employment problem. Hopefully 2008 will be a
    better year for you.

    I still think your unfounded attitude towards the SD14 sucks though:)

    Michael Tuthill, Jan 9, 2008

  3. And my, along with many other's including Peter's, real world
    experience is opposed to your's.

    Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

    Michael Tuthill, Jan 9, 2008
  4. S

    Mr. Strat Guest

    Thanks...I'm working on it.
    I've been doing photography long enough to see how the various
    companies operate. Sigma has always marketed to the amateur market, in
    particular, people who won't pay the higher prices for OEM lenses.

    Sigma digital cameras use oddball technology which has been proven not
    to work. Just the goofy colors they produce is enough to steer me away.
    The system is very proprietary and regardless of the merits of Foveon
    technology on paper, in real life, it just doesn't work.

    Combine that with the companies questionable math in marketing...

    Mr. Strat, Jan 9, 2008
  5. That's pretty awesome! That's a great surprise! I must be an excellent
    judge of awesomeness - I named my first son Joshua. Hey, that son of yours
    really is a giant! Man, I hope he sticks with hockey, he'll be one feared
    player. Can you imagine what goes through a 13 year-old's mind when he
    skates up ice and finds your son waiting there?

    Peter Stavrakoglou, Jan 9, 2008
  6. Compusa's trademark, retail website, and 16 of its stores has been bought by
    Systemax who also own TigerDirect. The retail stores are going to be
    operated by TigerDirect. You've got aome of their stores in Florida, no?

    Peter Stavrakoglou, Jan 9, 2008
  7. S

    tony cooper Guest

    According a floor person at CompUSA in Altamonte Springs, all CompUSA
    merchandise that can be sold is being sold. The rest will go to a
    liquidator. All of the employees are being let go.

    If TigerDirect is taking over CompUSA outlets, they must be doing it
    selectively. Perhaps a lease problem at this site. There are at
    least 3 CompUSAs in the immediate Orlando area, maybe more. Altamonte
    Springs is just a northern suburb of Orlando.

    There are 17 CompUSA stores in Florida.

    tony cooper, Jan 10, 2008
  8. S

    Mr. Strat Guest

    Well, that's going from crap to crap.

    Mr. Strat, Jan 10, 2008
  9. S

    Cynicor Guest

    No kidding. Geez, I'm surprised they weren't taken over by Crazy Eddie's.

    Cynicor, Jan 10, 2008
  10. S

    SMS Guest

    Wow, they actually found a company worse than CompUSA to take over
    CompUSA. That's quite an achievement.

    SMS, Jan 10, 2008
  11. So then we should all expect "business as usual".

    Peter Stavrakoglou, Jan 11, 2008
  12. S

    John Turco Guest

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    Hello, nospam:

    Well, my Kodak V603 (6 megapixel subcompact) has 22 scenes modes. The
    only one I've used extensively, is "Manner/Museum," though. Its main
    benefit is that it automatically disables the electronic flash; this
    is quite handy, in public places.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jan 16, 2008
  13. S

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Mr. Strat:

    Come now, my good troll -- how do you >really< feel about Sigma's crimes
    against humanity? <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jan 16, 2008
  14. S

    Mr. Strat Guest

    No troll here...just trying to keep noobs and the unaware from wasting
    their $$$ on Sigma cameras. Everybody but the fanboys know they're
    overpriced junk.

    Mr. Strat, Jan 16, 2008
  15. S

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Mr. Strat:

    Hey, being a troll doesn't make you wrong, automatically...now, does
    it? <g>

    Anyhow, if Sigma is even half as bad, as its many critics (here) claim
    it is, I wonder why? Beginning in the 1960's - when so many other
    Japanese manufacturers were rising to world-class status - have the
    members of Sigma's board of directors been getting constantly bombed,
    on saki, perhaps? :-D

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jan 20, 2008
  16. S

    Mr. Strat Guest

    As I've said many times, after over four decades in photography, I've
    observed how the various companies operate. Sigma has always been
    shady. I've never seen one of their digital cameras in person because
    they're kinda like a Zune...nobody buys them.

    But I've seen enough images by competent photographers and those not so
    well versed in the art. The oddball technology just doesn't work.
    Combine that with their questionable math when it comes to megapixel
    count...proprietary mediocre lenses...it's a complete system of crap.

    Mr. Strat, Jan 20, 2008
  17. S

    Cynicor Guest

    :-( I have a Zune.

    Well, my son does. And I didn't even use the employee discount to get it.

    Cynicor, Jan 20, 2008
  18. S

    Mr. Strat Guest

    I have yet to see a Zune outside of the locked case at Wally World.

    Mr. Strat, Jan 20, 2008
  19. S

    D_Mac Guest

    article <>, John Turco> >
    wrong, automatically...now, does> > it? <g>> > > Anyhow, if Sigma is
    even half as bad, as its many critics (here) claim> > it is, I wonder
    why? Beginning in the 1960's - when so many other> > Japanese
    manufacturers were rising to world-class status - have the> > members
    of Sigma's board of directors been getting constantly bombed,> > on
    saki, perhaps? :-D> > As I've said many times, after over four decades
    in photography, I've> observed how the various companies operate.
    Sigma has always been> shady. I've never seen one of their digital
    cameras in person because> they're kinda like a Zune...nobody buys
    them.> > But I've seen enough images by competent photographers and
    those not so> well versed in the art. The oddball technology just
    doesn't work.> Combine that with their questionable math when it comes
    to megapixel> count...proprietary mediocre lenses...it's a complete
    system of crap.You seem to have a well versed, rounded knowledge of
    nothing, Strad. I used to be a Sigma dealer before I retired. Sure
    thay did have a few flakey lenses in the early days. Canon have just
    as many, you know? Yes, the SD9 had some problems with low light and
    deep shadows. The SD 10 wasn't a hell of a lot better either but let's
    not forget or overlook the size of the company and the enormous
    percentage of profit they devoted to research over the past 4 years
    that resulted in some pretty decent products arriving last year.People
    like you seem to be on the payroll of Canon. Paid to bash anything
    that looks like a threat to Canon. Sigma's lates round of
    exceptionally good lenses make some of Canon's fabled "L" lenses look
    decidedly mediocre. The SD14 is no ground breaker but it is a huge
    advancement on the earlier models and has finally reached the point of
    being able to compete very favourably with some other makers cameras
    as far as image quality goes.The "oddball" technology you speak of is
    a giant step forward in compact imagery. OK they use a different math
    to reach a pixel count but the images are every bit as clean and
    enlargable as those sensors using single pixel counting to arrive at
    an image size. Surely the final result is the measure of how good they
    are, not how part of the collection process is described?D-MAC.

    D_Mac, Jan 20, 2008
  20. S

    Mr. Strat Guest

    I guess if you like Homer Simpson skin tones, a 4.6MP camera that costs
    well over $1,000 and uses proprietary lenses is a good deal.

    You're the one that needs an education. Glad I never shopped in your
    store back in the old days.

    Mr. Strat, Jan 21, 2008