    been ignored.

    Whether there'll be something to see in February... who knows?

    Have fun, Dan

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Dan Sullivan

    PhotoMan Guest

    I guess that's good news for about three people. :)
    Joe Arnold

    PhotoMan, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Dan Sullivan

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Sigma bought Canon, Nikon and have started a hostile takeover bid for
    Kodak -- they will be using Foveon chips to pay for Kodak stock -- both are
    worth about the same -- and have plans to invade Fuji next month. By PMA
    they will control the entire camra market save for AT&T phone cameras.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Dan Sullivan

    Mark M Guest

    Uh oh... My local camera shop clerk told those EXACT WORDS.
    Sigma must be doing better than I (and even George) thought.

    Mark M, Dec 31, 2003
  5. Certainly very few people need a pro DSLR. But then again, when the 10.3MP
    SD9 is selling for a lot less than some prosumers, Sigma is certainly
    opening the world of professional quality digital to whole new demographic.

    The question is, will 6MP DSLR users ever discover the world of professional
    quality digital? Right now, they aren't even half way to 35mm film.

    George Preddy, Dec 31, 2003
  6. With the SD9 beating the 2.7MP-non-interpolated 11MP-interpolated Canon 1Ds
    in color resolution tests by a factor of 2.3X
    (http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_05/essay.html), and with pixel
    pitch for 2D lateral sensors nearing its noise and lens design limit
    already, one has to wonder how Canon/N/F/K plan to survive long term.
    They'll get blown out if they don't at least double their real world image
    quality in Febuary and halve their current price-points.
    Interesting. The marketing will be even more interesting. Definitely won't
    be from the Sigma D/SLR lens giant (I'm guessing), my money is on Kodak
    (again just guessing).
    It'll be a very interesting year. The most important breakthrough may be
    subtle, though. Whether or not pro reviews bow to the growing pressure from
    Sony and Sigma to move to color resolution test charts instead of using B&W
    only. Rumor has it that the big manufacturers have already made it known
    that they'll blacklist any professional organization that publishes a color
    resolution comparison.

    George Preddy, Dec 31, 2003
  7. Dan Sullivan

    Mark M Guest

    George, please go to:
    http://helping.apa.org/find.html

    Mark M, Dec 31, 2003
  8. Dan Sullivan

    Mark M, Dec 31, 2003
  9. Dan Sullivan

    imbsysop Guest

    twister alert .. repeat that you never said it was a 10.3 MP cam ..

    imbsysop, Dec 31, 2003

  10. You're lying *again* George - Is this abject stupidity, delusion or
    malevolence?
    http://www.russellrutherford.com/image/fb112.jpg ...This image is running in
    Times Square. It was shot in *JPEG*, with the little 6MP bayer sensor Fuji
    S2. A beauftifully crafted image that's undoubtably succeeded commercially.
    Yet in 'Preddy World' James Russell hasn't discovered "the world of
    professional quality digital". You muppet

    Simon Stanmore, Dec 31, 2003
  11. Too bad its 600 x 400.

    George Preddy, Dec 31, 2003
  12. Dan Sullivan

    George Kerby Guest

    Tony! NOW I know who you are:
    Folks, meet Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf
    (Baghdad Bob)

    George Kerby, Dec 31, 2003
  13. George Preddy, Dec 31, 2003
  14. Dan Sullivan

    John Doe Guest

    Any guesses who might be the manufacturor? I'm one of the 3 that would be
    willing to pay a premium for this type of camera. :) I'm wondering what
    is ment by high quality. Pseudo 10 megapixels? It would be good if it
    had video with motion compensation. I would settle for little or no zoom.
    Other nice features:
    1. Some kind of mimimal linux support.
    2. USB 2.0
    3. Night shot mode.
    4. Wireless, although I don't have a wireless router yet.
    5. Can be used as a webcam.
    6. Can take multiple shots after timer.
    Or just many shots with out holding a button.
    Good for trying to take successive all family shots.
    7. Can record sound with out video for long durations.
    8. Hides or muffles the sound of wind on the mic.
    9. Infra-red mode or ultra violet mode.
    In other words, remove whatever internal filters it may have.
    10. Compact flash support is a must.
    How are we going to store those huge video files?
    11. Nice if camera download software to PC allowed for automatic
    compression of video to mpeg4. Or at least a hook so us
    programmers could put one in.

    John Doe, Dec 31, 2003
  15. Dan Sullivan

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Well, this thread is titled "Sigma Rumors."

    Anything passed that... your guess is as good as mine.

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 31, 2003
  16. George "Sigma" Preddy *thinks* it might be Kodak, but a Kodak/Foveon
    relationship has been mooted for about as long as the latter has been
    around. It could be anyone; hell with *twenty* new consumer cameras
    due this year it could even be Canon.

    Probably not Sigma. Sigma is, first and foremost, a lens company and
    lenses have better margins than cameras I believe. You can't sell as
    many lenses with a P&S, and the tactic of using the camera as a loss
    leader to shift glass isn't even an option.

    Here's an off the wall guess for you: Either Dell or HP. Think of it
    this way: Foveon's FAQ states a desire to "go consumer" and Dell and
    HP are two of the biggest computer companies out there, both of which
    could shift a huge number of PC/camera bundles. Especially when you
    consider 2004 is predicted to be the year when digital *really* kicks
    off; predicted sales are 53 million units. HP already has a large
    range of digital camera out there and Dell is branch out; networking
    hardware, printers, PDAs... why not a camera? Dell isn't at PMA
    though, but HP sure is.
    Full support! Thanks to the debacles of Software Assurance and
    Licensing 6.0 (it's wasted my employer ~£100k this year alone
    according to my quick guesstimate) more and more people seem to be
    looking at Linux. It can do the job on the desktop and still needs
    some polish here and there, but my scepticism over Linux on the
    desktop is starting to melt away. Maybe not 2004 though...
    It does seem to be supplanting Firewire, doesn't it?
    Best feature on the Sony cameras - the picture of the cat about
    halfway down DCResources review of the F828 is *sooo* cool!

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_f828-review/index.shtml
    Nice, but say goodbye to your battery life. 802.11 is a power hog!
    Webcam or IPcam? The former can be achieved just with a permanant PC
    link and software as long as you can both control the camera and
    access the images as they are taken. The latter is more niche, but
    would mean you can dump the PC for a (wireless?) network connection.
    Shrug. Doesn't bother me doing it manually, YMMV.
    I'm a camera Jim, not a Dictaphone! ;)
    Doable. It's just a bandpass filter, but if the wind noise is
    variable then the band needs to be as well which will require some
    clever software.
    Kind of ties into night shot mode.
    Whatever. As long as it's not effectively proprietary *cough*
    MemoryStick *cough* and the price is reasonable, who cares?
    Shrug. Doesn't bother me doing it manually, YMMV.

    Pretty good list!

    Andy

    Andy Blanchard, Dec 31, 2003
  17. Dan Sullivan

    JPS Guest

    In message <bsup4n$mov$>,
    I don't fall into images where branches look like this:

    ---
    ---- ---
    -- -
    -

    Looks like microlenses alone don't do the trick.

    JPS, Jan 1, 2004
  18. Andy,

    I think we may see an announcement at the Photo Marketing Association's 2004
    trade show in February 2004 that Foveon has licensed its sensor technology
    to a significant camera company, probably either Canon, Nikon or Pentax. Can
    you imagine a small Pentax Optio S camera with a three-megapixel Foveon
    sensor? :)

    Raymond Chuang, Jan 1, 2004
  19. Dan Sullivan

    Mark M Guest

    e-ghad!
    I'm trying hard not to imagine the awful images that might come from such a
    concoction.

    Mark M, Jan 1, 2004
  20. I know, you like to link 10D pictures that look like this...

    George Preddy, Jan 1, 2004