    it's blank.

    Thanks in advance.
    Mike in Vermont

    Mikevt1, Oct 16, 2006

  2. Mikevt1

    tomm42 Guest

    Neither Sigma or Quantaray is much of a brand name. yes Sigma probably
    makes the lens. Try to let Ritz test the lenses. With any Sigma lens
    there will be a sample variance of quality, buy which ever is better,
    don't buy one if niether is better than your existing lenses, which
    could happen.

    Tom

    tomm42, Oct 16, 2006

  3. Mikevt1

    Guest Guest

    I'll tell you why the Quantaray is cheaper. Ritz Camera contracts with igma
    for these lenses the same way WalMart squeezes their vendors. Make it
    cheaper.
    Bob

    Guest, Oct 16, 2006
  4. Mikevt1

    bwoag Guest

    The whole issue of lens quality is very perplexing. On the one hand you have
    some who would claim that anything badged as Nikon or Canon is superior to
    anything badged Sigma. Having seen the dogs that are tagged Nikon and Canon
    at premium prices I can only shake my head in wonder. The Nikon 55-200 is
    one of the worst lens I have ever seen and is but a recent addition to the
    Nikon line-up. The Canon dSLR kit lenses are the only lenses I have ever
    seen used to demonstrate chromatic aberration in every demo of how to
    correct this problem in Photoshop. How could you possibly go worse with a
    Sigma? Build quality? Take a close look at the least expensive Canons and
    realize the volumes at which these things are cranked out and their target
    markets-BestBuy and Costco do not cater to discriminating
    photographers--because that is a factor in determining manufacturing
    quality. The vagaries of Asian corporate and manufacturing structures are
    such that it is highly likely that lenses from different vendors are
    manufactured at the same facilities. There are instances where it is
    entirely unclear if the source of a name brand lens is not a secondary
    manufacturer like Sigma or Tamron or even lower on the food chain.
    Caveat emptor. Just don't be empty headed about the whole issue.

    bwoag, Oct 16, 2006
  5. I noticed that the Sony 18-200 lens has identical weight, minimum focus,
    Aperture range & number of blades, elements and groups etc as the Sigma
    18-200. Makes me wonder if the Sony lens is made by sigma, or if they
    are both made to the same formula, or if it is just a big coincidence...

    Graham Fountain, Oct 17, 2006