    The 30mm f:1.4 is interesting, but I can't figure out why it's so big. 76 mm
    (3.0 in) x 59 mm (2.3 in) 62mm filter. APS-C coverage Typical of Sigma no
    Pentax mount...

    Darrell, Feb 13, 2005

  2. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021401sigma10dgs.asp
    - APO 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG
    - APO 70-200 mm F2.8 EX DG
    - APO 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG OS
    - APO 100-300mm F4 EX DG
    - APO 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG
    - APO 300-800mm F5.6 EX DG
    - APO 180mm F3.5 EX DG
    - APO 300mm F2.8 EX DG
    - APO 500mm F4.5 EX DG
    - APO 800mm F5.6 EX DG
    - Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC
    - Sigma 10-20mm F4.0-5.6 EX DC HSM
    - Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM

    Siddhartha Jain, Feb 14, 2005

  3. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    Got to like the 30mm f:1.4 (Dimensions (dia x len) 76 mm (3.0 in) x 59 mm
    (2.3 in) 62mm filter) I can't figure out why a APS-C/DX lens like that is
    so big. Optics theory would indicate that a element diameter of 30mm should
    yield a 30mm f:1.0 allow for some light loss (1 stop is generous) and you'll
    get f:1.4. So I can't figure out why it's huge. Maybe Pentax will update
    their old 30mm like they did with their old 40mm f:2.8 "Pancake" lens.

    Darrell, Feb 14, 2005
  4. Darrell

    paul Guest

    paul, Feb 14, 2005
  5. This looks like a good alternative to the Canon EF-S 10-22. But Sigma's
    12-24 was much poorer than the Canon 10-22, so I don't hold out much hope
    for the Sigma 10-20. It's have to be a lot less expensive than the Canon
    10-22, which goes for $650 on sale.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 14, 2005
  6. It's too slow and typical of their wides it's probably and too soft at
    anything more than f/8. But I'll be tempted as it will fit a 1D, unlike the
    Canon EF-S version, if they can get the price well under $500.

    Dave R knows who, Feb 14, 2005
  7. Darrell

    Scharf-DCA Guest

    Yes, Sigma always seem to have slower lenses. I hesitated about the EFs
    10-22 because I can't use it on my Canon film body, but since I already
    have a 20-35 for the film body, it'll be okay. The Sigma EX lenses seem
    to be moving down-market, no longer as good as the consumer lenses from
    Canon or Nikon. But if the 10-20 Sigma is good at f/8 that'd have been
    good enough for me, as long as it sold for $400-450 or so, rather than
    the $650 of the Canon. But I have a feeling that Sigma is going to
    price the 10-20 at $600-700.

    Scharf-DCA, Feb 14, 2005
  9. Darrell

    Jim Townsend Guest

    This one sounds interesting....
    So does this...
    I'm a nature photographer and a Canon lens fan, but will have to see how
    these lenses are rated.

    Jim Townsend, Feb 15, 2005
  10. Darrell

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ray Fischer, Feb 15, 2005
  11. Wise decision...

    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 15, 2005
  12. Darrell

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Also Tamron announced an 11-18/3.5-5.6 Di II (Di II means small circle)
    available this spring. SP designation, weight 375 grams, 77 filters.

    Bill Tuthill, Feb 15, 2005
  13. Darrell

    Mark B. Guest

    I'm still not sure what the difference might be between the existing 70-200
    f/2.8 and the 'DG' other than the designation; it's not a DC so it should
    still work fine on a full-frame sensor w/o vignetting.

    Mark

    Mark B., Feb 16, 2005
  14. Darrell

    Mark B. Guest

    It's not a DC lens so it can still be used on full-frame cameras, thus the
    size. There's no specifics on exactly what DG (digitally optimized) means.

    Mark

    Mark B., Feb 16, 2005
  15. Andrew Koenig, Feb 16, 2005