  1. that's a bit of a straw man. if you are going to be viewing the
    ... and get rid of the Bayer vs. Foveon issues at the same time! <G>

    David

    David J Taylor, May 2, 2010

  2. Bubba

    Guest Guest

    true :)

    Guest, May 2, 2010

  3. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    Do manufacturers tell you if a sensor is back-illuminated? For
    example, is the Canon G11 back-illuminated?

    Bubba, May 8, 2010
  4. Bubba

    Guest Guest

    more than likely, since they generally want to differentiate it from
    everything else
    no

    Guest, May 8, 2010
  5. Bubba

    dmaster Guest

    This entire arguement is silly on several levels.

    1. You reference "full colour sensors" (previously you refered to
    "true samples"), but you overlook that neither Bayer sensors nor
    Foveon sensors provide either. Neither is "full colour" at each
    sensor; neither is even RGB at each sensor, although it appears that
    you think "RGB" is "full colour" or a "true sample". RGB is an
    imperfect representation of the true colour, and even if Foveon
    sensors produced RGB, they wouldn't be "true colors". No sample is
    "truer" than any other sample; they are samples.
    2. Most of the arguements in this chain seem to be centered on whether
    or not Bayer sensor results are interolated, as if that is somehow
    good or bad. It is neither; it is an approach. Both Bayer and Foveon
    sensors are imperfect approaches to sampling the actual scene. There
    is no point in arguing whether the approaches are "good" or "bad".
    The only issue is whether the results are good.

    As millions or billions of examples have shown, Bayer sensors produce
    good results. If you think the Foveon sensor camera produces a better
    result for the money, buy it. If you think the Bayer sensor camera
    produces a better result for the money, buy it. Personally, I prefer
    the results from the Bayer sensor cameras for my money. If you
    disagree, so what? I'm happy with my choice; be happy with yours.

    Dan (Woj...)

    dmaster, May 12, 2010
  6. Bubba

    dmaster Guest

    No it is not. The only key question is, does the sensor produce a
    good picture. The mechanism or approach is completely immaterial. If
    the sensor uses single color sensors, or non-RGB multi-color sensors,
    or tiny pixies with tiny arc-welders does not matter in the least.
    Does it make a good picture?

    Dan (Woj...)

    dmaster, May 12, 2010
  7. Bubba

    Guest Guest

    no, the question is the end result.
    so what? are you taking photos or analyzing individual pixels, one by
    one?
    except that bayer has as much as 5x as many pixels, so it doesn't
    really matter what it does at the pixel level.

    Guest, May 13, 2010
  8. []
    Instead, it relies on colour interpolation, and as the eye is rather
    sensitive to hue, that may account for the reports of poor colour accuracy
    from current implementations of the Foveon.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 13, 2010
  9. Bubba

    Ray Fischer Guest

    That is complete nonsense. "At the pixel level" there is no such
    thing as resolution. There is only a pixel.
    "Lower" than what? An 18MP sensor? A 10MP monochrome sensor?
    End of discussion.

    Ray Fischer, May 15, 2010
  10. Bubba

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Why should anybody give a fetid rat's ass? Results count, not some
    cult worship of technology.

    Ray Fischer, May 15, 2010