Sigma 35-135 and the Canon 10D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by EarGuy, May 28, 2004.

  1. EarGuy

    EarGuy Guest

    Got me a yard-sale find. For fifteen bucks, I got a Canon EOS-compatible
    Sigma lens. It's an autofocus 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5. It looks like an older
    model, it uses the slide in/out zoom method rather than the twist method.
    It has a screw-on 55mm lens cap, and it looks original.

    Luckily for me, it also came with a dozen hoya filters that made the
    purchase worth it, even if the lens is toast.

    And that's what my question is. I attached the lens to my Canon 10D SLR,
    and the autofocus doesn't work. The lens makes a grinding sound, like the
    motor trying to turn the autofocus, but the lenses don't engage. I know
    that Sigma lenses may need re-chipping to be compatible with newer cameras.
    But is my lens exhibiting symptoms of the need for re-chipping, or is it
    just busted?

    I haven't taken any manual-focus shots with this lens, but does anyone know
    if it's worth fixing? I just did a quick search. Adorama is selling this
    lens for $74.00 with the notation "does not work with digital camera." Hmm.
    Wonder if it means "the 35-125 won't work with digitals" or if it means
    "this lens we're selling needs to be re-chipped."

    Any enlightenment?

    Thanks

    Dave

    Earguy

    EarGuy, May 28, 2004

  2. EarGuy

    jean Guest

    Even brand new Sigma lenses sometimes need re-chipping so my guess is you
    are SOL. Mind you for $15 it would be worth it to use the lens in manual
    mode and stopped down if the pics turn out OK.

    Jean

    jean, May 28, 2004

  3. EarGuy

    Mark M Guest

    Heeheehee...

    Try finding a decent NON-Sigma lens that needs 55mm filters...
    ....and THEN decide if that really saved the deal!

    :)

    Mark M, May 28, 2004
  4. The EF 1200mm f/5.6L USM? No? Well, actually quite a few of the Canon
    primes atleast have a 52mm filter thread, so all that is needed is a
    52-55 step ring.

    -JP

    Jukka-Pekka Suominen, May 28, 2004
  5. EarGuy

    Marius Guest

    Couldn't it be an alternative to use this filters with an adapterring with
    58mm-filtersize lenses?
    IMHO: because of the not-fullsize-sensor of the 10D the sensor doesn't pick
    the distortion and adapterring-reduction-effects.

    Marius

    Marius, May 28, 2004
  6. A large percentage of the Canon FD breech-lock range took 55mm filters.
    When they introduced the new FD (twist-the-whole-lens) range, the basic
    filter size dropped to 52mm.

    Not that this is a lot of use to the OP, since from what he says he has
    an EOS body...

    David Littlewood, May 28, 2004
  7. EarGuy

    Sander Vesik Guest

    A 52-55 step up rings are cheap and may even save some vigneting
    if you ever use more than 1 filter.

    Sander Vesik, May 28, 2004
  8. EarGuy

    Mark B. Guest

    If it simply needed to be re-chipped, why would the gears grind? If that's
    all that was wrong, you would get a 'err 99' on the camera. The lens is a
    goner. Toss it in the trash.
    Even if re-chipping made it work, why would you want to try to make a $74
    zoom lens work on a $1,500 dSLR? Stop being a cheap skate and buy a decent
    lens. There's a lot of good feedback regarding the Canon 28-135 IS lens.

    Mark

    Mark B., May 29, 2004