    The best part:

    Nikon 28mm f/1.4: $2799 buy-it-now on eBay now.
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4: $369 buy-it-now.

    Cynicor, May 12, 2007

  2. I have seen some good pictures posted on pbase taken using the sigma
    30/1.4dx.

    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/30_14_ex_dc_hsm

    I use the nikkor 35/2 as a standard lens and like the compact size, but it
    could be handy to have that extra stop.

    I think the nikkor 28/1.4 has been discontinued which could explain why it
    costs so much, and the fact that it's full frame so requires more glass in
    its construction - it's a large & heavy lens compared with the sigma.

    cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    Adrian Boliston, May 12, 2007

  3. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    I just took a picture of my foxhound using a 75 watt bare bulb a few
    feet away, no other lighting. (1/50, f/1.4, ISO 400) Don't pixel gaze
    it, because I don't have her eye that sharp! I haven't had a 1.4 lens
    before, so I'm pretty amazed at how much light it sucks in, even
    compared with a 1.8.

    http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/2120267#151972423-L-LB

    Cynicor, May 13, 2007
  4. Cynicor

    tomm42 Guest

    Sigma designs some good lenses, the only problem is their quality
    control. That is why you get some folks raving and some that don't
    want to see another Sigma.

    Tom

    tomm42, May 13, 2007
  5. Yep, you get what you pay for. And this is really evident a year or so down
    the road should you decide to sell either lens.

    Nikon 28mm f/1.4: $4799 sold on eBay

    Sigma 30mm f/1.4: with a $125 buy-it-now and no takers.

    The Sigma really isn't a bad lens for the price. It's not a 28/1.4 Nikkor
    nor was it meant to compete with it.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, May 13, 2007
  6. Cynicor

    ASAAR Guest

    Wasn't that Sigma the one that wasn't used with a UV filter?

    ASAAR, May 13, 2007
  7. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Oh, there will always be takers. Unless you think that everyone but
    ultra-high-end users will suddenly be called up in the Great Nikon
    Rapture of 2008.
    No, it was meant to open that end of the market up to people who didn't
    want to spend 10x as much.

    Cynicor, May 13, 2007
  8. Cynicor

    dj_nme Guest

    ....and possibly those that wish to actualy use their lenses for
    photography, rather than using them as a financial investment to be sold
    for profit later.

    dj_nme, May 13, 2007
  9. Huh? I actually use my lenses on a daily basis, but it's still comforting
    to know that should I decide to sell them I will get more than what I paid
    for them. It's kinda like a double bonus since I get paid to use them. And
    rest assured Nikon isn't going to be stupid enough to introduce a DX
    equivalent so my investment can only go up.

    <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/pics/Old_St_Nik.jpg>

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, May 13, 2007