Sigma 170-500 in Seattle

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cynicor, Jan 17, 2008.

  1. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Cynicor, Jan 17, 2008

  2. Nice! Now if you only could have taken that with a Sigma DSLR on the end of
    that lens... :)

    I just picked up an E-510 with a Bigma, itching to use it after seeing this
    shot of yours.

    Peter Stavrakoglou, Jan 18, 2008

  3. Cynicor

    jean Guest

    jean, Jan 18, 2008
  4. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Absolutely! You have to know your seasons. That's why I didn't wait for
    a Rainier shot yesterday.

    Cynicor, Jan 18, 2008
  5. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    I have to be honest, if I can resolve a soda can from a distance of a
    mile, I'm satisfied with the lens. I took a couple other photos of the
    Tacoma shipyards from the same location last night, but smugmug appears
    to be offline right now so I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

    Cynicor, Jan 18, 2008
  6. Cynicor

    PossumTrot Guest

    While you were in that area did you get a photo of the SLUT?
    For those of you not familiar with same, it's the South Lake Union Trolley.

    PossumTrot, Jan 18, 2008
  7. Cynicor

    Mr. Strat Guest

    You Seattle people are so funny (I'm down in Aberdeen).

    Mr. Strat, Jan 18, 2008
  8. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Are you downwind of St. Helens for when it blows again next week?

    Cynicor, Jan 18, 2008
  9. Cynicor

    Mr. Strat Guest

    If the wind is coming out of the southeast, we're screwed.

    Actually, we got some ash back in 1980 when there was a second eruption
    a week after the first, more well-known one. That stuff was a real pain
    in the ass.

    Mr. Strat, Jan 18, 2008
  10. Cynicor

    TH O Guest

    TH O, Jan 20, 2008
  11. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    So far so good. I think I have a good sample, and at 460mm from a mile
    away, the lens resolved individual soda cans. It's as sharp as I
    expected, although I'm sure it can't compete with a Nikon 500mm lens.
    (Especially with the aperture starting so high, as the zoom does.)

    I might get a tripod clamp to stabilize it a bit more, because even with
    a 20 lb capacity ballhead, I still get a bit of vibration.

    Cynicor, Jan 20, 2008
  12. If the lens has a tripod ring, you might try a trick I saw in a Japanese
    camera mag, which was to put the lens on the tripod, and put a monopod under
    the camera. I don't know if it really helps or not, though.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 21, 2008
  13. Cynicor

    Paul Furman Guest

    What do you mean by 'tripod clamp'?
    That's a good idea, I've tried similar and the difficulty is being able
    to adjust the secondary support. You'd want some way to turn a knob &
    finely adjust the height or it becomes a chore to frame the desired
    view. I tried to rig something to the tripod leg for this without any
    luck. I only got as far as realizing the need for that adjustment and
    maybe an adjustable length monopod would be good enough. For macros, I
    set the subject on a table, point down, then stack books or whatever
    under the front of the lens and it *really* helps.

    Paul Furman, Jan 21, 2008
  14. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    I saw this thing at B&H. Bogen/Manfrotto 3252. It's a telescoping tube
    with a mini-ballhead on one end and a clamp on the other.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5545-REG/

    Cynicor, Jan 21, 2008
  15. Cynicor

    Paul Furman Guest

    Ah ha, exactly what I had in mind. Looks like it's got a handy little
    extension tightener too.

    Paul Furman, Jan 21, 2008
  16. Cynicor

    jean Guest

    Looks like you could do the same with a monopod attached to your tripod with
    bungee cords or duck tape. Wouldn't be as elegant, but a lot cheaper (IF
    you have a monopod that is).

    Jean

    jean, Jan 21, 2008
  17. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    That's what SHE said!

    See, this is why they need to end the TV writers' strike.

    Cynicor, Jan 21, 2008
  18. Cynicor

    Robert Coe Guest

    : Cynicor wrote:
    : > Paul Furman wrote:
    : >> David J. Littleboy wrote:
    : >>> Cynicor wrote:
    : >>>
    : >>>> I might get a tripod clamp to stabilize it a bit more, because even
    : >>>> with a 20 lb capacity ballhead, I still get a bit of vibration.
    : >>
    : >> What do you mean by 'tripod clamp'?
    : >
    :
    : Ah ha, exactly what I had in mind. Looks like it's got a handy little
    : extension tightener too.

    So now you'll have to go out and buy one, for some potentially exhorbitant
    expenditure of $$$. That's what you get for reading this thread!

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 21, 2008
  19. Cynicor

    PCs Rule Guest

    If anyone thinks $55 is an exorbitant expenditure of $$$, I think they have
    the wrong hobby/profession.

    PCs Rule, Jan 21, 2008
  20. Cynicor

    Robert Coe Guest

    : : > On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:56:05 -0800, Paul Furman <>
    : > wrote:
    : > : Cynicor wrote:
    : > : > Paul Furman wrote:
    : > : >> David J. Littleboy wrote:
    : > : >>> Cynicor wrote:
    : > : >>>
    : > : >>>> I might get a tripod clamp to stabilize it a bit more, because even
    : > : >>>> with a 20 lb capacity ballhead, I still get a bit of vibration.
    : > : >>
    : > : >> What do you mean by 'tripod clamp'?
    : > : >
    : > : > I saw this thing at B&H. Bogen/Manfrotto 3252. It's a telescoping tube
    : > : > with a mini-ballhead on one end and a clamp on the other.
    : > : >
    : > : > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5545-REG/
    : > :
    : > : Ah ha, exactly what I had in mind. Looks like it's got a handy little
    : > : extension tightener too.
    : >
    : > So now you'll have to go out and buy one, for some potentially exhorbitant
    : > expenditure of $$$. That's what you get for reading this thread!
    : >
    : > Bob
    :
    : If anyone thinks $55 is an exorbitant expenditure of $$$, I think they have
    : the wrong hobby/profession.

    Is that all? Sounds like a bargain! ;^)

    Robert Coe, Jan 21, 2008