    might be outstanding when you are looking at the full resolution
    image, but it is no great shakes in low resolution -- certainly not
    significantly better than the ones taken by the Sigma 12-24.

    john chapman, Jan 5, 2004

  2. Bastian Bauwens

    dslr Guest

    Only "just about" - i.e. NOT a polariser.

    dslr, Jan 5, 2004

  3. Even better, you can SIMULATE just about any filter with Photoshop.
    Also, a filter which has stopped a colour cast (for example, where a CCD
    is sensitive to light just outside the normal spectrum such as the near
    UV) could not be simulated....

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 5, 2004
  4. Bastian Bauwens

    Lara H Guest

    well since I have offered to see what you are talking about and learn it,
    then I fail to see that I have any prejudices. I think I am pretty open to
    learning and trying new things. But since I haven't seen the effects of
    which you speak, then it would be pretty hard for me to know what you are
    talking about. That is illogical.

    lara

    Lara H, Jan 5, 2004
  5. Bastian Bauwens

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Huh? You claimed to know Photoshop, then you should know
    what I'm talking about... And if you don't, then you can't claim
    the results aren't as good as those obtained by using a filter.

    Clear enough?

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 6, 2004
  6. Bastian Bauwens

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    OK, not a polarizer. But that's not the kind of filter commonly used
    on a wide-angle lens.

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 6, 2004
  7. Bastian Bauwens

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Why not? I'm pretty good at getting rid of color casts and actually
    there are lots of PS plug-ins that do just that. You are talking
    extremes...

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 6, 2004
  8. Bastian Bauwens

    dslr Guest

    He's conceded on the polariser, but he is correct about the NDs. Either
    some bracketed shots or several slightly different RAW convrsions,
    loaded as layers with gradient masks can simulate an ND Grad pretty
    well.
    That said, I'd rather get it right in-camera if I can. Hence my
    experiments in getting filters onto the lens.

    dslr, Jan 10, 2004