[SI] Shoot in photography challenge - New mandate - try it out!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Jun 4, 2005.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Current mandate is:

    "Out of Africa" (no you don't need to go to Africa!).

    Due: June 19 2005.

    When most people think wildlife photography, they think of trips to
    exotic lands laden with helpful subjects, such that Africa is known for.
    The point of this mandate is exactly the opposite - your goal is to
    produce a wildlife image as close to home as possible, preferably in
    your own backyard or even within the house.

    Anything else goes - zoo, tame animal, macro, whatever you like, it
    simply has to look "wild". Extra points for the most natural-looking
    setting or behavior.

    Have fun!

    Mandator - Al Denelsbeck, June 3, 2005

    Due: June 19, 2005

    The rulz can be found at http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html

    photos at http://www.pbase.com/shootin/africa
    http://www.pbase.com/shootin

    ( Discussion is at )

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Jun 4, 2005

  2. This was taken less than one mile from my home:
    http://home.comcast.net/~charlesschuler/wsb/media/291308/site1057.jpg

    Charles Schuler, Jun 4, 2005

  3. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Jun 4, 2005
  4. Aw, gee, you mean I actually have to work at this?

    Charles Schuler, Jun 4, 2005
  5. Alan Browne

    Slack Guest

    <quote from the Rules>

    * When submitting an archived image (one shot at any time before the
    mandate was announced), then you should append "_old" to the file name.

    For example, "DER_Matt_Clara_old.jpg"
    <end quote>

    Although, the OP did fail the name format.

    Slack, Jun 5, 2005
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    You don't have to do anything, but 'in-mandate-period' posts get the
    admiration and aplause you'll richly deserve for a great photo.

    Alan Browne, Jun 5, 2005
  7. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    <quote from the Rules>

    * To fully participate in the shoot-in is to create a new photo to the
    mandate during the mandate period. If you're just too busy, or are on a
    budget, you're still welcome and invited.

    Alan Browne, Jun 5, 2005
  8. Alan Browne

    Tony Polson Guest

    No, the whole idea is to look through your archive of snapshots taken
    over the last 20 years, and select one whose subject matter bears only
    the vaguest resemblance to the mandate, if any.

    You then write an essay of at least 1500 words on why your completely
    irrelevant shot just satisfies the mandate on the basis of one obscure
    point that is not even faintly obvious from looking at the picture.

    At least, that's what Alan Brownbe does.

    ;-)

    Tony Polson, Jun 5, 2005
  9. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Tony Polson wrote:

    You have no idea what I do. Most of my images are not archive, but
    better to submit that than nothing at all.

    Once upon a time you declared that a real photographer has to shoot to
    the mandate ... but you're too cowardly to do so. No surprise given the
    windbag that you are.

    You can't rest on the laurels of your claimed 1970's Paris Match Cover
    forever Polson. If it's true at all. You've shown no evidence that it
    is.

    Put up or shutup Tony Polson.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Jun 5, 2005
  10. Alan Browne

    Slack Guest

    Thanks for the clarification.

    Hopefully I can come up with something good to submit.

    Slack, Jun 5, 2005
  11. Well... I think it's finally happened. Alan Browne has "made it" on the
    Internet. A confirmed personal troll must surely elevate AB to
    unheralded heights of the Internet's infamous. Enjoy it while you can...

    I wonder where mine went? It seems that when I stopped submitting to SI,
    he disappeared. maybe it was discovering his real identity that go rid
    of him? Oh well. Maybe I'll start submitting again? Out of Africa...
    Hmm. Plenty of photogenic sewer rats around here for that mandate.

    [email protected], Jun 5, 2005